Past and Present: The Oviedo Woman's Club Legacy Lives—And Gives—On
Oviedo Woman's Club Legacy Lives and Gives On
A newspaper article written by Kelly Allen and published by The Seminole Chronicle in July of 2008. The article chronicles the history of the Oviedo Woman's Club (OWC), which was founded in 1906 as the Oviedo Magazine Club by seven charter members: H. B. McCall, Edith Meade, Georgia Lee Wheeler, Lillian Lee Lawton, Mattie Aulin Wheeler, Milcah Yonge, and Mary King. The first clubhouse was constructed in 1914 and also served as Oviedo's first library. In 1916, the club joined the FFWC and officially changed its name to the Oviedo Woman's Club. In 1923, the woman's club was federated under the umbrella of the General Federation of Woman's Clubs (GFWC). A new clubhouse was built in 1961 on property donated by R. L. Croom, a former member, which is located at 414 King Street. The Oviedo Woman's Club is involved in many civic projects, including the annual Great Day in the Country Arts and Crafts Festival, the Spring Fundraiser, Tasting Luncheons, and Celebrate Spring Teas.
Original newspaper article: Allen, Kelly. "Past and Present: The Oviedo Woman's Club Legacy Lives—And Gives—On." The Seminole Chronicle, July 24-30, 2008, pages A8-A9: Private Collection of Beatrice Gestrich.
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original newspaper article: Allen, Kelly. "Past and Present: The Oviedo Woman's Club Legacy Lives—And Gives—On." The Seminole Chronicle, July 24-30, 2008, pages A8-A9.
Is Part Of
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
1 newspaper article
Oviedo Woman's Club, Oviedo, Florida
Originally created by Kelly Allen and published by The Seminole Chronicle.
Private Collection of Beatrice Gestrich
"Our History." Oviedo Woman's Club. http://www.oviedowomansclub.org/our-community/our-history.html.
Document Item Type Metadata
1 newspaper article