The Generation Gap, Special Edition

Dublin Core

Title

The Generation Gap, Special Edition

Alternative Title

Generation Gap

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Westinghouse Electric Corporation

Description

An article published in The Generation Gap, Westinghouse Electric Corporation's newsletter, regarding the relocation of the company's Steam Turbine-Generator Division (STGD) from Lester and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Orlando, Florida, starting in 1982. A new headquarters building was being constructed at The Quadrangle, at the corner of Alafaya Trail and University Boulevard. Temporary office space was located in a renovated shopping center on East Colonial Drive. Shown in photographs on the second page are executives uncovering the cornerstone of the new building (dated February of 1982), but the building was not ready to have it installed as yet.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business the The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. The company relocated its Steam Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida, beginning in 1981. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought CBS network. It then changed its name to the CBS Corporation.

Creator

Westinghouse Communications Department (for Power Generation Marketing Dept.)

Source

Original 4-page article: The Generation Gap, Spring 1982: Private Collection of Harry Jaeger.

Publisher

The Generation Gap

Date Created

ca. 1982-03

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1982-03

Date Issued

ca. 1982-03

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 4-page article: The Generation Gap, Spring 1982.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

837 KB

Medium

4-page article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Westinghouse Power Generation Business Unit, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by The Generation Gap.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Generation Gap and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Harry Jaeger

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

4-page article

Locations

Categories