Downtown Oviedo, 1950
An aerial view of Downtown Oviedo, Florida, in 1950. The Timucuan Native Americans originally inhabited the area of present-day Oviedo, although the remains of their settlements have disappeared. Homesteaders arrived along the shores of Lake Jesup in 1865 just after the Civil War ended and began growing celery and citrus. The area was called the Lake Jesup Community until March 13, 1879, when postmaster Andrew Aulin, Sr. (1843-1918), a Swedish immigrant, chose the name Oviedo.
Wilson, Thomas S.
Original 5 x 7 inch black and white photographic print by Thomas S. Wilson, 1950: Private Collection of Vicki Clonts.
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original 5 x 7 inch black and white photographic print by Thomas S. Wilson, 1950.
Is Part Of
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
5 x 7 inch black and white photographic print
Originally created by Thomas S. Wilson and owned by Nelson and Company.
Copyright to this resource is held by Thomas S. Wilson and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.
Private Collection of Vicki Clonts
"RICHES Podcast Documentaries, Episode 41: Oviedo, with Dr. Richard Adicks." RICHES of Central Florida. http://riches.cah.ucf.edu/audio/Ep41-Oviedo.mp3.
Adicks, Richard, and Donna M. Neely. Oviedo, Biography of a Town. S.l: s.n.], 1979.
Robison, Jim. Around Oviedo. 2012.
"History." City of Oviedo, Florida. http://www.cityofoviedo.net/node/68.
Still Image Item Type Metadata
1 black and white photographic print
5 x 7 inches