Oviedo Train Depot

Dublin Core

Title

Oviedo Train Depot

Alternative Title

Oviedo Train Depot

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)
Railroads--Florida

Description

The Oviedo Train Depot, located at 520 South Lake Jessup Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. The depot was built in 1886 as part of the Henry Plant railroad system, which later became the Seaboard Coast Line (SCL) Railroad. The Plant system of railroads and steamships ran from Jacksonville to Key West. During World War II, the depot's roof was used to guide patrolling planes departing from the Sanford Airport. In the early 1970s, the depot was moved to 636 South Lake Jessup Road in order to make room for the expanding Nelson and Company business. In the 1970s, the defunct depot was sold to the Connolly Family, who restored and preserved the depot to its current state.

Source

Original 7 x 10 inch black and white photographic print: Private Collection of Vicki Clonts.

Date Created

ca. 1886-1925

Contributor

Clonts, Vicki
Bruce, Mimi

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 7 x 10 inch black and white photographic print.

Is Part Of

Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

116 KB

Medium

7 x 10 inch black and white photographic print

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Oviedo Train Depot, Oviedo, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Vicki Clonts and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Vicki Clonts

External Reference

Mulligan, Michael. Railroad Depots of Central Florida. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2008.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photographic print

Physical Dimensions

7 x 10 inches

Locations

Categories