Orange County Regional History Center

Dublin Core

Click to View (Movie, Podcast, or Website)

Title

Orange County Regional History Center

Alternative Title

Orange County Regional History Center

Subject

Orange County (Fla.)
Orlando (Fla.)
Museums--Florida

Description

According to its website, "The Historical Museum first opened in 1942 in the 1892 red brick Orange County Courthouse at the corner of Central and Magnolia, as a pioneer kitchen exhibit for the Central Florida Centennial Celebration. The popular exhibit remained open; and through public donations of historical objects, large and small, books, papers, and photographs, it grew to fill rooms in the old Courthouse.

The collections went into storage from 1957 until 1963, while the county demolished the 1892 Courthouse and built an addition to the 1927 Courthouse on the site of the old building. The museum reopened in the Courthouse Annex in 1963, under the auspices of Orange County Historical Commission, a new county department established by the County Commissioners in 1957 to ensure fiscal and legal stability. By 1970 , the county government needed the space in the annex, so the museum collection was moved again, to the second floor of the Christ Building, a few doors away on Central Boulevard . . .The Orange County Historical Society, Inc., organized in 1971 to raise money for a permanent museum building, which opened in Loch Haven Park in 1976. In 2000, the Historical Museum moved again, back to where it had started at Central Boulevard and Magnolia Avenue. The vacated 1927 Courthouse was restored to become the Orange County Regional History Center, and the Orange County Historical Society became the Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc., operating the History Center in partnership with the Orange County Board of County Commissioners.

The current Orange County Regional History Center showcases the vast collections of the Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc. The museum features three floors of permanent exhibitions and also presents nationally important limited-run exhibitions. In 2006, the museum was accepted as an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and was accredited by the American Association of Museums, the highest honor a museum can receive."

Source

Orange County Regional History Center
65 East Central Boulevard
Orlando, Florida 32801

Date Created

1942

Is Part Of

Central Florida Historical Resources Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/http

Medium

Website

Language

eng

Type

Website

Coverage

Orlando, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.542917, -81.377868

Temporal Coverage

1942-01-01/2014-12-31

Accrual Method

Deposit

Rights Holder

The Orange County Regional History Center holds all rights to the items housed within the institution as well as those items represented digitally on RICHES MI. Contact the Orange County Regional History Center for the proper permissions for the use of its items.

Contributing Project

Curator

Marra, Katherine

Digital Collection

Library & Archives, Orange County Regional History Center

External Reference

"Orange County Regional History Center." Orange County Regional History Center. http://thehistorycenter.org/.
"Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc." Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc. http://www.thehistorycenter.org/historicalsocietyofcentralfl.

Website Item Type Metadata

Locations

Categories