St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church
St. James AME Church
African Methodist Episcopal Church
View of St. James AME Church from the intersection of Cypress Avenue and East 9th Street. The church itself was founded in 1867 at another location off of Mellonville Avenue. In 1880, the church purchased land at the current location from the Florida Land and Colonization Company, which was operated by General Henry Shelton Sanford. After constructing several temporary structures, the church assigned African American architect Prince Spears to design the current red brick building. Spears created a building with a late gothic revival architectural style. Construction started in 1910 and ended in 1913. Reverend William H. Brown oversaw the project, but died prior to the building's completion. St. James AME Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Original color digital image by Austin Smith, December 19, 2010.
Is Part Of
Churches of Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Originally created by Austin Smith and owned by RICHES of Central Florida.
Flewellyn, Valada S. African Americans of Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2009.
American Dreams, Inc. "Florida - Seminole County." National Register of Historic Places.
Rivers, Larry E., and Canter Brown. Laborers in the Vineyard of the Lord: The Beginnings of the AME Church in Florida, 1865-1895. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2001.
Bailey, Julius. Around the Family Altar: Domesticity in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, 1865-1900. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, 2005.
Wilson, Dreck Spurlock. African American Architects: A Biographical Dictionary, 1865-1945. New York: Routledge, 2004.
External Reference Title
a href="http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/59879767">Around the Family Altar: Domesticity in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, 1865-1900
ST. JAMES AME CHURCH
Still Image Item Type Metadata
1 color digital image