Westinghouse 251B10 Gas Turbine

Dublin Core

Title

Westinghouse 251B10 Gas Turbine

Alternative Title

W251B10 Turbine

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

A diagram of the W251B10 50MW-class gas turbine. From circa 1985 through 1998, the Westinghouse 251B10 (W251B10) gas turbine was manufactured at Westinghouse Electric's facility in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The Westinghouse 251 (W251) gas turbine model was first introduced in 1967 as a geared 20MW-class unit and was the first gas turbine to feature cooled turbine flow-path components.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original diagram: Power Generation Canadian Division. Westinghouse Electric Corporation: 1990: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

ca. 1990

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original diagram: Power Generation Canadian Division. Westinghouse Electric Corporation: 1990.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

1.97 MB

Medium

1 diagram

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Science Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Siemens and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories