Dow Chemical Company's Westinghouse 501D5 Gas Turbines

Dublin Core

Title

Dow Chemical Company's Westinghouse 501D5 Gas Turbines

Alternative Title

Dow Chemical 's W501D5 Turbines

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

Dow Chemical Company's Westinghouse 501D5 (W501D5) gas turbines in Plaquemine, Louisiana. In 1987, two W501D5 gas turbines at this plant operated on synthetic gas from coal as part of the largest integrated gasification combined-cycle plant in the world. This photograph was taken during the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), which lasted until the mid-1990s.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original color photograph: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

ca. 1987

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original color photograph.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

576 KB

Medium

1 color photograph

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Dow Chemical Company, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

There is no known copyright for this resource, which is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories