First Westinghouse-Manufactured 501F Heads to Korea: Shipment Culminates of 24 Months of Work

Dublin Core

Title

First Westinghouse-Manufactured 501F Heads to Korea: Shipment Culminates of 24 Months of Work

Alternative Title

Westinghouse-Manufactured 501F for Korea

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

The first Westinghouse 501F (W501F) engine being readied for shipment from Pensacola, Florida, to Ulsan, South Korea, in October of 1995. The W501F featured a new Dry Low mono-nitrogen oxides combustion system. Prior to this milestone, the W501F was manufactured for Westinghouse by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original black and white photograph: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

ca. 1995-10

Date Issued

ca. 1995-10

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

749 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Pensacola, Florida
Seoul, Korea

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Siemens and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories