Winter Garden Heritage Foundation Collection

Selected Items in the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Winter Garden Heritage Museum, 2007
The Winter Garden Heritage Museum, located at 1 North Main Street in Winter Garden, Florida, in 2007. This one-story masonry vernacular building was originally the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad depot. The earliest train depot on this site was a…

First Baptist Church of Winter Garden
The First Baptist Church of Winter Garden was originally organized in Ocoee, Florida, in August of 1888 with nine charter members. After eight years, the church voted to relocate to Winter Garden on land donated by James Lafayette…

Central Florida Railroad Museum
The Central Florida Railroad Museum, located at 101 South Boyd Street in Winter Garden, Florida. Originally the Tavares and Gulf Railroad Depot, the building was constructed in 1913 at a cost of $1,765. The western portion, built of Florida sand…

Edgewater Hotel
The Edgewater Hotel, located at 99 West Plant Street in Winter Garden, Florida. The hotel is a part of the Winter Garden’s National Historic Register Business District, was completed in 1926 and opened in 1927 with 53 guestrooms available. At…

314 South Boyd Street, Winter Garden
This one-story Frame Vernacular-style building was constructed at 314 South Boyd Street in Winter Garden, Florida, in 1928. Located in Smith's #3 subdivision, platted by G. T. Smith in 1925, it initially served as the clubhouse for the Winter Garden…

126 West Plant Street, Winter Garden
This one-story commercial building in Winter Garden, Florida, was constructed in 1922 as part of land platted by J. D. McMillan in 1915. The building at 126 West Plant Street was originally owned by the McMillan-Bray Hardware Company. The store was…

12 West Plant Street, Winter Garden
The structure at 12 West Plant Street in Winter Garden, Florida, was the first brick commercial building built in 1912, after a 1909 fire destroyed all the downtown wood buildings. It was built by James Lafayette Dillard (1858-1943) and Benjamin T.…

49 South Main Street in Winter Garden
The building at 49 South Main Street in Winter Garden, Florida. Evidence suggests that this commercial building was constructed around 1912 and was originally two stories high. In the 1920s, the second story was removed as a result of fire damage.…

Home of Harry Bumby
The one-and-one-half-story bungalow is located at 205 North Lakeview Avenue in Winter Garden, Florida. Built in 1919, this structure historically associated with Henry "Harry" Edward Bumby (1870-1941), the developer of the subdivision in which it is…

Winter Garden's Original Fire Station
Winter Garden's original fire station, located at 127 South Boyd Street, was built during the Great Depression with funds secured by Mayor George Walker from the Works Progress Administration (WPA). In order to apply to the WPA for funding, the mayor…

Black Building
The Black Building, located at 101-121 West Plant Street in Winter Garden, Florida. This two-story brick Masonry Vernacular commercial building was constructed in 1921 by a businessman and citrus grower from Clermont named Robert E. Black. It…

Home of Harold E. and Gladys Hall
The residence located at 235 North Lakeview Avenue in the Bumby subdivision of Winter Garden Florida. Constructed around 1938, platted by Henry "Harry" Edward Bumby (1870-1941) in 1923, this building a classic example of the Tudor Revival-style of…

Dublin Core

Title

Winter Garden Heritage Foundation Collection

Alternative Title

Winter Garden Heritage Foundation Collection

Subject

Winter Garden (Fla.)
Museums--Florida

Description

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records contributed by the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation, located at 1 North Main Street in Winter Garden, Florida. This one-story masonry vernacular building was originally the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad depot. The earliest train depot on this site was a 16-by-20-foot small wooden shed built by farmers in 1893 so they could ship their produce to Jacksonville and St. Petersburg on the Orange Belt Railway. A second larger wooden terminal was built on the same site in 1906 by the Atlantic Coat Line Railroad. The current brick building was constructed around 1918. After the train depot closed around 1960, the building housed the Chamber of Commerce, then several other businesses. In 1998, Kay Chicone Ustler and Jerry Chicone Jr. donated $150,000 to the City of Winter Garden to purchase the building for use as a museum. The Winter Garden Heritage Foundation opened the museum one month later. The museum is still active and is open from 1-5 PM everyday, excluding holidays.

Is Part Of

Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Winter Garden Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Winter Garden Heritage Foundation, Winter Garden, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Rights Holder

Copyright to these resources are held by the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation and are provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Cappleman, Kay, and Rod Reeves. Sundays in the South: Touring West Orange County. Winter Garden, FL: Winter Garden Heritage Foundation, 2009.
"Welcome." City of Winter Garden. http://www.cwgdn.com/.
Winter Garden Heritage Foundation. All Aboard!: A Journey Through Historic Winter Garden, 1880-1950. Winter Garden, FL: The Foundation, 1997.
Edwards, Wynette. Orlando and Orange County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2001.

Collection Tree