Downtown Orlando Information Center Collection

Selected Items in the Downtown Orlando Information Center Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Nick Serros' Fish and Poultry Company
Six men standing in front of Nick Serros' Fish & Poultry Company in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime around 1938. Nick Serros (b. 1888), the company owner, was born in Greece in 1888 and immigrated to the United States in 1923. He opened his…

Jackson Sporting Goods
A fishing lure handmade by Jim Pfiffer and sold at Jackson Sporting Goods, which was owned by William R. Jackson. From approximately 1935 to 1950, the store was located at 28 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. According to the records…

City Cab Company Taxi Service and the American Fire and Casualty Company
This photograph shows three businesses located on South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1941 and 1946: City Cab Company Taxi Service, Kelly's Tires, and the American Fire and Casualty Company. City Cab Co. was founded by…

Max Yacobian Cutting Doug Crenshaw's Hair
In this image, Max Yacobian is seen trimming the hair of Doug Crenshaw in 1953. The boy's father and grandfather, Don Crenshaw and Earl Crenshaw, respectively, are also in attendance. Yacobian worked as a barber at Star Barbershop since 1938, and…

Cervantes Spanish Restaurant
Cervantes Spanish Restaurant was one of the first Spanish restaurants to come to Orlando, Florida. It was run by Paul Vines and his wife, Annie Vines, and their business partner, C. Menendez. The restaurant sat at 19 East Church Street and stayed at…

View of South Orange Avenue
This image is of South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1930 and 1950. This lot, as well as the rest of the block, was later replaced by the CNA Tower and Barnett Plaza.

Hotel Bass
Hotel Bass, which was operated under that title from 1946 to 1965. The hotel was owned by Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) and his wife, Ethel Bass. Located at 217 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the building itself was built in 1907 and…

Walter C. Bass, City Father
Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) was born in Kissimmee, Florida, on January 9, 1900. He had attended the University of Florida (UF) and was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, a 32d Degree Mason, a member of the Grotto and the Elks Club. Bass belonged to…

Thomas Building
The Thomas building was an architectural arcade, which included several stores. The building was located at the intersection of Church Street and Magnolia Avenue, with a street address of 100 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Magnolia…

Johnson Electric Company Advertisement
An advertisement for Johnson Electric Company published in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 23 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the company furnished services…

Stanley's Radio Sales & Service Advertisement
An advertisement for Stanley's Radio Sales & Service in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 226 South Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando,…

J. Daniel Kolar Advertisement
An advertisement for real estate agent J. Daniel Kolar in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Kolar ran a real estate business from 206 South Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue)…

Roper Realty Company Advertisement
Andvertisement for the Roper Realty Company in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 200 South Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando, Florida, Roper Realty…

Vergowe Agency Advertisement
An advertisement for Vergowe Agency in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 29 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, Vergowe Agency was founded by Milton Stanley…

Downtown Orlando Information Center
The Downtown Orlando Information Center with the BB&T Bank building in the background. The Barnett Plaza was built in 1962 and was the location of the CNA Tower. The center is located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida.

Signature Plaza Painting
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Thomas Building, Ladies Uniforms, and Orlando Steam Laundry
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Brass Rail, Chamberlin Natural Foods, and Cervantes Spanish Restaurant
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Star Barber Shop and Ferrell Jewelry
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Economy Auto Store and City Cab Company
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Nick Serros' Fish & Poultry Company
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

American Fire and Casualty Company
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Jax and Hotel Bass
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

Barnett Plaza and the CNA Tower
An etching of the Barnett Plaza and the adjacent CNA Tower, built in 1962. The plaza and the tower were constructed on the block surrounded by South Orange Avenue, East Church Street, South Magnolia Avenue (formerly South Main Street), and East…

Hotel Bass Thermometer
A thermometer from Hotel Bass, which operated under that title from 1946 to 1965. The hotel was owned by Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) and his wife, Ethel Bass. Located at 217 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the building itself was…

Orlando Remembered Exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center
The Orlando Remembered Exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The exhibit features the history of the block surrounded by South Orange Avenue, East Church Street, South…

Dublin Core

Title

Downtown Orlando Information Center Collection

Alternative Title

Downtown Orlando Information Center Collection

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)

Description

Historic artifacts from an exhibit created by Orlando Remembered at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The Orlando Remembered Committee of the Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc. was created to "showcase artistic renderings of the time depicted, with artifacts and historical memorabilia from the location in an effort to preserve the memory of Orlando's history while acknowledging the potential of the City's future." This exhibit features the history of the block surrounded by South Orange Avenue, East Church Street, South Magnolia Avenue (formerly South Main Street), and East Jackson Street, particularly in the 1940s and 1950s. In the early 1960s, the buildings within the block were demolished and replaced by the Barnett Plaza and CNA Tower in 1952. The lot now includes the Downtown Orlando Information Center and the BB&T Bank building.

Contributor

Is Part Of

"A Transformed Block: The Development of South Orange Avenue." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/exhibits/show/transformedblock.
Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection. RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Information Center, Downtown Orlando, Florida
American Fire and Casualty Company, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Cervantes Spanish Restaurant, Downtown Orlando, Florida
City Cab Company Taxi Service, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Hotel Bass, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Jackson Sporting Goods, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Nick Serros' Fish and Poultry Company, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Nick Serros' Fish and Poultry Company, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"The Historic Icons of Orlando." Orlando Remembered. http://www.historiciconsoforlando.com/.
Bacon, Eve. Orlando: A Centennial History. Chuluota, Fla: Mickler House, 1975.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Collection Tree