323-329 South Sanford Avenue

Dublin Core

Title

323-329 South Sanford Avenue

Alternative Title

323-329 S. Sanford Ave.

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
African Americans--Florida
Georgetown (Sanford, Fla.)

Description

The lots located at 323-329 South Sanford Avenue in Georgetown, an historic African-American neighborhood in Sanford, Florida. The earliest known occupant of Suite 323 was African-American resident K. S. Johnson in 1911. Three-In-One Store was listed at this address in 1917 and J. A. Sands ran his plumbing business from this location in 1926. FMB 5-10 & 25c Store operated from this lot from approximately 1947 to 1952, though the business moved to Suite 321 by 1965.

The earliest known occupant of Suite 325 was A. E. Dobbins Shoe Repair in 1924. J. J. Melton worked as an electrician at from this address in 1924. By 1926, Melton moved his new business, Melton Electric Company, to 321 South Sanford Avenue. That same year, Hopkins Shoe Shop was listed at this address. Suite 325 housed Hopkins Grocery & Market in 1947 and Bill Harvey's Home Service Company Radio Sales & Service in 1952.

F. A. Stone, a grocer, was the first known occupant of 327 S. Sanford Ave. in 1924. Stone operated his business from this location from approximately 1924 to 1926. He had previously managed the Palm Leaf Broom Straw Company, located at the corner of South Oak Avenue and West Eighth Street, in 1917.

The earliest known resident of Suite 329 was C. H. Leffler in 1917. Leffler was one of the four men from Sanford who planned an expedition to Alaska during the Gold Rush of 1898. The others included: Dolph Edwards, Charles H. Beck, and Eugene Muller. Leffler only got as far as Seattle, Washington in February, where he decided to open a grocery and supply store. He returned to Sanford in May 1898. By 1947, Lovett's Grocery was occupying this lot, followed by Tip Top Super Market in 1965 and Park & Shop in 1975.

At the time that these photographs were taken in January 2012, 232-327 Sanford Avenue was vacant with no buildings. Sanford Supermarket was occupying at 329 South Sanford Avenue. and Gator Auto Insurance, located at 345 South Sanford Avenue, can also be seen in this photograph.

Creator

Rock, Adam

Source

Original color digital images by Adam Rock, January 23, 2012.

Date Created

2012-01-23

Is Part Of

Sanford Avenue Collection, Georgetown Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

258 KB
276 KB
288 KB

Medium

3 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Georgetown, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Adam Rock and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura
Rock, Adam

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Flewellyn, Valada S. African Americans of Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2009.
"Pathways to History - Historic Georgetown." City of Sanford. http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.aspx?page=483.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1911. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk &a Company, 1911.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1917-1918. Jacksonville, FL: R.L. Polk & Co., 1917.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1924. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1924.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1926. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1926.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1947. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1947.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1952. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1952.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1965. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1965.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1975. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1975.

Transcript

SANFORD SUPERMARKET
FRESH MEATS DELI GROCERY

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

3 color digital images

Locations

Categories