Mayfair Hotel

Dublin Core

Title

Mayfair Hotel

Alternative Title

Mayfair Hotel

Subject

Tourism--Florida
Newspapers
Hotels--Florida
Resorts--Florida

Description

The Forrest Lake Hotel during the latter half of the 1920's. Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford. By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida's tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff's ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South. Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation. After the Naval Air Station Sanford acquired $1.3 million to fund the construction of a naval academy in 1963, the Foundation made significant alterations to the building to house students from the Sanford Naval Academy. The Foundation later sold the building to the New Tribes Mission in 1977. The New Tribes Mission's goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

Source

Original black and white photonegative: Print Collections, call number PR09741, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.

Date Created

1925-1929

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white photonegative on Florida Memory: Print Collections, call number PR09741, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida. http://floridamemory.com/items/show/8196.

Is Part Of

Print Collections, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

35 KB

Medium

3 x 5 inch black and white photonegative

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.811748, -81.257222

Temporal Coverage

1925-01-01/1929-12-31

Accrual Method

Deposit

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.E.1.2; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the State Library and Archives of Florida and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Marra, Katherine

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents the Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
Seminole County Chamber of Commerce. When Winter Comes, Come to Seminole County, Sanford, Florida. Sanford, Florida: Celery City Printing Company, 1936.  Digital reproduction of original publication on the Central Florida Memory website, http://digitalcollections.lib.ucf.edu/u?/CFM,119677.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photonegative

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inch

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00064.jpg