The Oviedo Band at White's Wharf

Dublin Core

Title

The Oviedo Band at White's Wharf

Alternative Title

Oviedo Band at White's Wharf

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)
Picnics
Music--Florida
Musicians--Southern States

Description

The Oviedo band at a Sunday school picnic at White's Wharf, located near Lake Jesup in Oviedo, Florida, in 1911. Some of the individuals appearing in the photograph are Cater Lawton, Karl Graff, Hugh White, bandmaster Stuman, John McCulley, McKnight, Joe Leinhart, McKnight, Edward McCall; Henry Bun McCall, Charles Lee, and Seaboard Air Line Railroad agent Koppel.

White's Wharf marks the approximate location where John Bartram and William Bartram camped during their excursion along the St. Johns River in 1765-1766. William g. White migrated to the area in the late 1870s and built a store here in 1879. White moved his store to Orlando in the 1880s. The site was also known as Clifton Springs, which is a name in honor of the hometown of Dr. Henry Foster, a wealthy grower from Lake Charm in Oviedo. Many Oviedo residents used the site as the location for their annual May picnics, which began in 1880. The picnics were hosted by a joint committee of the local Baptist and Methodist churches. The wharf is now known as Hiley's Fish Camp.

Source

Original black and white photograph, December 13, 1911: Oviedo Historical Society, Oviedo, Florida.

Date Created

1911-12-13

Contributor

Clonts, Thelma Lee

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white photograph, December 13, 1911.

Is Part Of

Oviedo Historical Society, Oviedo, Florida.
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

245 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

White's Wharf, Oviedo, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Donated to the Oviedo Historical Society by Thelma Lee Clonts.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Thelma Lee Clonts and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"WHITE'S WHARF (Clifton Springs)." Waymarking. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMH53_WHITES_WHARF_Clifton_Springs.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories