Building Permit for the Oviedo Woman's Club
Oviedo Woman's Club Building Permit
A building permit for the new clubhouse for the Oviedo Woman's Club (OWC). The permit approved L. L. Faulk and Son has the building contractor for the construction of the new clubhouse. The permit was signed by the town auditor and clerk, Dorothy M. Courier, on April 3, 1961. The Oviedo Woman's Club, which was founded in 1906 as the Oviedo Magazine Club by seven charter members: H. B. McCall, Edith Meade, Georgia Lee Wheeler, Lillian Lee Lawton, Mattie Aulin Wheeler, Milcah Yonge, and Mary King. The first clubhouse was constructed in 1914 and also served as Oviedo's first library. In 1916, the club joined the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs (FFWC) and officially changed its name to the Oviedo Woman's Club. In 1923, the woman's club was federated under the umbrella of the General Federation of Woman's Clubs (GFWC). A new clubhouse was built in 1961 on property donated by R. L. Croom, a former member, which is located at 414 King Street. The Oviedo Woman's Club is involved in many civic projects, including the annual Great Day in the Country Arts and Crafts Festival, the Spring Fundraiser, Tasting Luncheons, and Celebrate Spring Teas.
Courier, Dorothy M.
Original permit by Dorothy M. Courier, April 3, 1961: Private Collection of Beatrice Gestrich.
Celery Printing Company
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original permit by Dorothy M. Courier, April 3, 1961.
Is Part Of
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Oviedo Woman's Club, Oviedo, Florida
Originally created by Dorothy M. Courier.
Private Collection of Beatrice Gestrich
"Our History." Oviedo Woman's Club. http://www.oviedowomansclub.org/our-community/our-history.html.
Document Item Type Metadata