Headstone of William Henry Coe at the Edgewater-New Smyrna Cemetery

Dublin Core

Title

Headstone of William Henry Coe at the Edgewater-New Smyrna Cemetery

Alternative Title

Headstone of William H. Coe

Subject

Edgewater (Fla.)
Cemeteries--Florida
Graveyards
Journalism--Florida
Coe, William

Description

The headstone for William Henry Coe (1824-1879), the founder of Glencoe, at the Edgewater-New Smyrna Cemetery, also known as Hawks Park Cemetery, located at 700 South Ridgewood Avenue in Edgewater, Florida. Due to poor health, Coe moved with his wife and children from Connecticut to Jacksonville in 1874 and established an orange grove the following year four miles west of New Smyrna, an area that would later become Glencoe. In 1877, Coe became an editor for The Florida Star, a newspaper founded by his son, Captain Charles Henry Coe (1856-1954). In April of 1879, Coe was appointed Deputy Collector of Customs for the port at New Smyrna. Just a few months later, on October 23, Coe died of silicosis, likely a result of his work as a copper miner in Illinois during the 1840s. The headstone in this photograph was a replacement for the original, which had been lost over 120 years prior.

Creator

Redd, Robert

Source

Original color digital image by Robert Redd, 2015: Private Collection of Andrew M. Foster.

Date Created

ca. 2015-02

Contributor

Foster, Andrew M.

Is Part Of

Captain Charles Henry Coe Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

361 KB

Medium

1 color digital image

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Edgewater-New Smyrna Cemetery, Edgewater, Florida
Glencoe, Florida
New Smyrna, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Robert Redd.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Andrew M. Foster and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Andrew M. Foster

External Reference

"In Memoriam." The Florida Star, October 30, 1879. http://www.jupiter.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/4978.
Foster, Andrew M. "Captain Charles Henry Coe." History: Town of Jupiter, August 7, 2013. http://www.jupiter.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/4060.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color digital image

Locations

Categories