Sugar Mill Ruins Brochure
Sugar Mill Ruins
New Smyrna Beach (Fla.)
A brochure for the New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins, located at 600 Old Mission Road in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. For many years, the site, also known as the Cruger and DePeyster Sugar Mill, was mistaken for the ruins of a Spanish mission with origins dating back to the time of Christopher Columbus (ca. 1451-1506). This misconception led Captain Charles Henry Coe (1856-1954) to publish Debunking the So-Called Spanish Mission Near New Smyrna Beach, Volusia County, Florida in 1941. The steam sugar and saw mill was destroyed by Native Americans in 1845, just five years after it was erected. The ruins were added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Original 6-fold brochure: Sugar Mill Ruins. 2012. New Smyrna, FL: New Smyrna Beach Area Visitors Bureau: Private Collection of Andrew M. Foster.
Foster, Andrew M.
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original 6-fold brochure: Sugar Mill Ruins. 2012. New Smyrna, FL: New Smyrna Beach Area Visitors Bureau.
Is Part Of
Captain Charles Henry Coe Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins, New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Originally published by the New Smyrna Beach Area Visitors Bureau.
Private Collection of Andrew M. Foster
Coe, Charles Henry. Debunking the so-Called Spanish Mission Near New Smyrna Beach, Volusia County, Florida. [Daytona Beach]: [Fitzgerald publications], 1941.
Redd, Robert. Historic Sites and Landmarks of New Smyrna Beach. [S.l.]: History Press, 2015.
Document Item Type Metadata