Orlando Centennial Scrapbook: Westinghouse Centennial, 1886-1986

Dublin Core

Title

Orlando Centennial Scrapbook: Westinghouse Centennial, 1886-1986

Alternative Title

Westinghouse Centennial

Subject

Westinghouse Electric Corporation
Westinghouse, George, 1846-1914

Description

In commemoration of the 100-year anniversary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, this booklet was created to tell the highlights of the contribution of George Westinghouse (1846-1914) , identify the many connected families in the employee ranks, and to report on the celebration that marked the event and progress of the organization.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling, and a top-level decision to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings in the area were leased and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation of Germany in 1998, additional buildings (Quad II and Quad III) were added to the original complex at the Quadrangle. From 1998 to 2003 the Orlando operation was known as Siemens-Westinghouse, after which the name of Westinghouse was dropped. The operation has been known as Siemens from that time forward.

Source

Original 10-page booklet: Scalise, Jan, ed. Orlando Centennial Scrapbook: Westinghouse Centennial, 1886-1986 (Orlando: Human Resources Communications, Westinghouse Orlando, 1986): Private Collection of George E. Baker.

Publisher

Westinghouse Electric Corporation

Date Created

ca. 1986

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1986

Contributor

Scalise, Jan
Baker, George E.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 10-page booklet: Scalise, Jan, ed. Orlando Centennial Scrapbook: Westinghouse Centennial, 1886-1986 (Orlando: Human Resources Communications, Westinghouse Orlando, 1986).

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

3.06 MB

Medium

10-page booklet

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Westinghouse Power Generation Business Unit, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Science Teacher

Provenance

Originally edited by Jan Scalise and published by Westinghouse Electric Corporation.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Westinghouse Electric Corporation and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Baker, George E.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of George E. Baker

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

10-page booklet

Locations

Categories