St. Luke's Episcopal Church

Dublin Core

Click to View (Movie, Podcast, or Website)

Title

St. Luke's Episcopal Church

Alternative Title

St. Luke's Episcopal Church

Subject

Merritt Island (Fla.)
Episcopalians--United States
Churches--Florida
Episcopal Church--Florida

Description

St. Luke's Church is located at 5555 North Tropical Trail in Courtenay, an unincorporated community on Merritt Island, Florida. In the 1870s, the church founding families of LaRoche, Porcher, and Sams migrated from Charleston and John's Island of South Carolina and settled in Courtenay. The Carpenter Gothic-style church was erected in 1888, with funding from Lucy A. Boardman and land from Edward Porcher.

The first resident Vicar of St. Luke's, Reverend Paul A. Perrine, Jr., was appointed in 1962 and the congregation began to grow steadily. On November 15, 1974, the church was admitted as a Parish in the Diocese of Central Florida, with Father Perrine as the first rector. The church and cemetery were added to the National Register of Historic Places under the name "Old St. Luke's Episcopal Church and Cemetery" on June 15, 1990.

Source

St. Luke's Episcopal Church
5555 North Tropical Trail
Merritt Island, Florida 32953

Is Part Of

St. Luke's Episcopal Church Collection, Merritt Island Collection, Brevard County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/http

Language

eng

Type

Website

Coverage

St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Courtenay, Merritt Island, Florida

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

St. Luke's Episcopal Church holds all rights to the items housed from the church as well as those items represented digitally on the RICHES MI. Contact St. Luke's Episcopal Church for the proper permissions for the use of its items.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"History." St. Luke's Episcopal Church. http://www.stlukesmi.org/history/.

Website Item Type Metadata

Locations

Categories