Seminole High School Cheerleaders, 1952

Dublin Core

Title

Seminole High School Cheerleaders, 1952

Alternative Title

Seminole High Cheerleaders

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
High schools--Florida
Students--Florida
High school students
Cheerleading--United States
Cheerleaders
Schools

Description

Seminole High School cheerleading squad during the 1951-1952 school year. Photographed from top to bottom and from left to right is: L. Leonard, G. Kirchhoff, J. Wilson; G. Bitting, C. McInnis, A. Whitaker, N. F. Harvey, and S. Hayes.

Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Seminole High School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Abstract

Seminole High School “Salmagundi” yearbook photo of cheerleaders

Creator

Salmagundi Staff of 1952

Source

Original black and white photograph by Salmagundi Staff of 1952.

Publisher

Salmagundi

Date Created

ca. 1951-1952

Date Copyrighted

1952

Date Issued

1952

Has Format

8 x 5 inch print reproduction of original black and white photograph by Salmagundi Staff of 1952: Salmagundi 1952, (Sanford, FL: Seminole High School, 1952): Seminole County Public Schools Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of 8 x 5 inch print reproduction of original black and white photograph by Salmagundi Staff of 1952.

Is Part Of

Salmagundi 1952, (Sanford, FL: Seminole High School, 1952): Seminole County Public Schools Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

Salmagundi 1952.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

554 KB

Medium

8 x 5 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Seminole High School, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by Salmagundi.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Seminole High School and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.

Transcript

S

CHEERLEADERS

Left to Right, First Row: G. Bitting, C. McInnis, A. Whitaker, N. F. Harvey, S. Hayes. Second Row: G. Kirchhoff, J. Wilson. Third Row: L. Leonard.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 x 5 inch

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. PHC00026.jpeg