Sanford School Graduates Hear Dr. Nixon Sunday: Methodist Minister Draws a Lesson for Members of the Senior Class from Miracle of 5 Loaves and 2 Fishes

Dublin Core

Title

Sanford School Graduates Hear Dr. Nixon Sunday: Methodist Minister Draws a Lesson for Members of the Senior Class from Miracle of 5 Loaves and 2 Fishes

Alternative Title

Sanford School Graduates Hear Dr. Nixon Sunday

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Schools
Education--Florida
High schools--Florida
Graduation ceremonies
Commencements (Graduation ceremonies)
Clergy--Florida
Methodists--Florida

Description

A newspaper article about Reverend T. J. Nixon's speech for the Sanford High School Class of 1925 baccalaureate service. A Methodist minister, Rev. Nixon's speech focused on several Biblical stories, including: the story of Jesus of Nazareth feeding 5,000 people with five loaves of bread and two fishes, the story of Moses, and the story of King David. The article continues with the program for the closing ceremony of the high school graduation. Professor Herman F. Harris, of Rollins College, delivered the commencement address and diplomas to the students. In addition to this, there is a menu from the Junior-Senior banquet that took place on June 2, 1925, at the Women's Club.

Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original newspaper article, 1925: Sanford High School Collection, box 3A, folder Baccalaureate Service, item SCPS00157, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1925-06-02

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original newspaper article, 1925.

Is Part Of

Sanford High School Collection, box 3A, folder Baccalaureate Service, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

432 KB

Medium

1 newspaper article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Sanford High School, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
"Public History Center." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.
Thrift, Charles Tinsley. The Trail of the Florida Circuit Rider: An Introduction to the Rise of Methodism in Middle and East Floridaa. Lakeland, Fla: Florida Southern College Press, 1944.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 newspaper article

Locations

Categories