Centennial Book of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Orlando, Florida, 1874-1974

Dublin Core

Title

Centennial Book of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Orlando, Florida, 1874-1974

Alternative Title

Centennial Book of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Churches--Florida
Episcopal Church--Florida

Description

Centennial Book of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, which chronicles the history of the first 100 years of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke. The church is located at 130 North Magnolia Avenue in Dowtown Orlando, Florida, and was founded in 1867 by Francis W. Eppes (1801-1881), the nephew of Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826). The congregation originally worshipped in a log cabin and services were conducted by Eppes, despite his status as a layman.

In October 1882, William Crane Gray (1835-1919) was elected and consecrated as the first bishop of the Missionary Jurisdiction of South Florida, which included Central Florida and Orlando, at the time. A new church building for St. Luke's was erected under Reverend C. W. Ward during that same year. The building was enlarged in 1884, and again in 1903. On March 31, 1902, Bishop Gray designated St. Luke's as the official Cathedral Church for South Florida and appointed Reverend Lucien A. Spencer as the cathedral's first dean. In 1922, the cathedral building was relocated to make room for a new cathedral designed by Frohman, Robb, and Little of Boston, Massachusetts. During that same year, the Missionary Jurisdiction of South Florida was admitted to the General Convention of the Episcopal Church as the Diocese of South Florida. On April 13, 1925, Bishop Cameron Mann laid the cornerstone. However, as the land bust struck Florida in 1926, the building remained only partially constructed and a temporary wall was built to seal the altar side of the church.

Over the years, the building has received a number of structural additions and renovations, including an educational unit memorializing members of the congregation who died serving in World War II; the Chapter House erected in the 1950s; the renovation of the cathedral nave, the erection of the choir gallery over the narthex, and the installation of a 88-rank pipe organ in the early 1970s; and the removal of the temporary wall and the competition of the building's original design during 1986 and 1987. In 1970, the Diocese of South Florida was divided into three smaller dioceses; St. Luke's became the Cathedral Church for the Diocese of Central Florida.

Source

Original book: Centennial Book of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Orlando, Florida, 1874-1974. Orlando, Fla: Cathedral Church of St. Luke, 1974.

Date Created

ca. 1974

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1974

Contributor

Smith, Daniel B.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original book: Centennial Book of the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Orlando, Florida, 1874-1974. Orlando, Fla: Cathedral Church of St. Luke, 1974.

Is Part Of

Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Regions Bank, Orlando, Florida.
Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection. RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

74.1 KB

Medium

1 book

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by the Cathedral Church of St. Luke.
Donated to Orlando Remembered by Daniel B. Smith.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Cathedral Church of St. Luke and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Williams, Rachel
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Orlando Remembered

External Reference

"Detailed History." Cathedral Church of Saint Luke. http://www.stlukescathedral.org/History.html/History.html/History_detailed.htm.
Church Records and History, 1900-1992. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1993.
Wilder, Beatrice. Diocese of Central Florida Churches One Hundred Years Old and More...Through 1993. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1993.
Bentley, George R. The Episcopal Diocese of Florida, 1892-1975. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1989.
Cushman, Joseph D. A Goodly Heritage: The Episcopal Church in Florida, 1821-1892. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1965.

Transcript

Centennial Book
of the Cathedral Church
of St. Luke
Orlando, Florida
1874-1974

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 book

Locations

Categories