The Maitland News, Vol. 01, No. 05, June 5, 1926

Dublin Core

Title

The Maitland News, Vol. 01, No. 05, June 5, 1926

Alternative Title

The Maitland News, Vol. 01, No. 05

Subject

Maitland (Fla.)

Description

The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by The Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. This edition features articles on topics such as plans to erect a new municipal building, park improvements, building codes, housing, architecture styles, new books for the library, local banking, a picnic held by the Maitland Auxiliary, and a local events calendar. Also featured are several advertisements for local businesses.

Source

Original 4-page newspaper edition: The Maitland News, Vol. 01, No. 05, June 5, 1926: Newspaper Collection, accession number 2014.002.020V, room 2, case 2, shelf 10, box GV, Maitland Historical Museum, Art & History Museums - Maitland, Maitland, Florida.

Publisher

The Maitland News Company

Date Created

ca. 1926-06-05

Date Copyrighted

1926-06-05

Date Issued

1926-06-05

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 4-page newspaper edition: The Maitland News, Vol. 01, No. 05, June 5, 1926.

Is Part Of

Maitland News Collection, Maitland Historical Museum, Art & History Museums - Maitland, Maitland, Florida.
The Maitland News Collection, Maitland Historical Museum Collection, Maitland Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

1.65 MB

Medium

4-page newspaper edition

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Maitland, Florida
Enterprise, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by the Maitland News Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Maitland News Company and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Settle, John

Digital Collection

External Reference

Poole, Leslie Kemp. Maitland. Mount Pleasant, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2009.
"Maitland History." City of Maitland. http://www.itsmymaitland.com/maitland_history.asp.

Transcript

THE MATLAND NEWS
Published Weekly by THE MATLAND NEws Co, MATLAND, ORANGE County, FLORIDA
Volume I
JUNE , 1926
NUMBER 5
Council Votes to Erect Municipal Building
WRECKING OF PRESENT TOWN HALL CLOSES CHAPTER IN LOCAL HISTORY
Plans for a municipal building to provide engine house and jail on the first floor with a council chamber above were accepted by the Council at their last meeting and the building committee authorized to commence work immediately. The building is to be placed at the back of the lot where the old town hall stood, leaving space opposite the park for a more pretentious building to be put up later on. Plans offered by Charles B. War terhouse for a complete city hall, em bodying all the features of an uptodate municipal building, were rejected as being too ambitious an undertaking at the present time.
With the completion of the wrecko ing of the present town hall, which is already well under way, and the final cleaning up of the town proper. ty, the last of the land marks will be gone and all the old buildings will be cleared away.
Most prominent among these was the old hall, built in the early eighties and shown on the first plat of Mait. land filed in 1885. George Horatio Packwood, who built this hall and filed the plat, on leaving Maitland bought forty acres of land where the Tampa Bay Hotel now stands, includ ing a quarter mile along the Bay Shore, for around 1,200.00. This he platted, naming the streets the same as those in the Maitland plat, and he now occupies a mansion on the Bay Shore Boulevard on a sixty foot lot for which he refused 200,000.00 last winter. This hall was built with two stores on the first floor, one of which was used as a railroad station when the railroad first went through, a hall for a skating rink, with a stage on the second floor, and rooms above for the first Masonic Lodge in this section of Florida, where the leading citizens of Orlando, Sanford and Lake County came together. The building was later bought by S. B. Hill and the lower floor fitted up for a packing house for the Florida Citrus Exchange,
of which Mr. Hill was the first president. After the Exchange left it was used as a private packing house and the hall upstairs was used for com: munity entertainments until the pres: ent school house provided a more at: tractive gathering place. Next to the old hall stood the Adams packing house, built by Frank Adams and used by him as a pack. ing house and fertilizer warehouse, and further on was a building, used for similar purposes, which originally stood on the north side of Horatio Avenue, where it formed a ware. house between the railroad and the store building of E. Turner, recently
moved away and used for the past
few years as a rooming house for the American Fruit Growers. The store, occupied until its demoli• tion last fall, by J. A. Brown, was used first as a store and later housed the first library in Maitland, established by Mrs. L. F. Dommerich. At one time it was owned by Mr. S. Mills Ely, brother of Miss Mary C. Ely, who remodeled it and rented it out for small business enterprises, after which it was bought by S. B. Hill, who occupied it as a store until he sold out to J. A. Brown. The passing of this group of build. ings, built when Maitland was young and which have survived beyond the period of their usefulness marks the beginning of a new era of growth and prosperity in Maitland.
TOWN PARK BEING IMPROVED
The town authorities have sown a cover crop through the parks around Lily Lake, north of the Library and the central park. This will give a green covering through the summer and will be turmed under later, providing necessary humus for the soil. A number of trees and shrubs have been planted in the central park and further improvements will be made as soon as water is available.
Harry R. Brewer left Thursday for Guilford, Conn., after spending the winter here at the home of Forrest B. Stone.
ACTION ON BUILDING CODE IS
At the last meeting of the Council, F. T. Marsh was appointed building, plumbing and electrical inspector. This action was taken on the recome mendation of the Zoning Commission. Mr. Marsh, who has held similar po sitions in the north, has been of great assistance in drawing up the building code recently adopted by the Council. This code as well as the plumbing code is substantially the same as the Orlando code, except for a few modifications due to local conditions. At the last meeting it was also voted to adopt rules and regulations governo ing electrical wiring and construction which have been adopted by Winter Park, with the exception that the license fee shall be 25.00 and the bond 1,000.00. Building and plumbing fees have also been established and anyone intending to build should in form himself on these regulations and make application to the building in spector in sufficient time to prevent delay in starting his building.
GREENWOOD GARDEN NOTES
Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Coudert and family moved last week into their new home in Greenwood Gardens.
Mr. A. B. Rowland, who has been associated with the Maitland Realty Company as accountant for the past three months, has bought the old Parker house in Greenwood Gardens. The house has been moved onto a lot on Maitland Avenue, and is benig remodeled. Mr. Rowland hopes to have the work completed so that he will be able to occupy the house when Mrs. Rowland and the children reach Maitland the latter part of this month. Mrs. Rowland will remain in West. field, New Jersey until the close of school.
Mr. Calvin Hill has bought a lot in Greenwood Gardens on the corner of Maitland Avenue and Marion Way, where he expects to build a residence in the near future.


2]
THE MAITLAND NEWS
MATLAND, Florida
Published Weekly by THE MATLAND News Company. ANNA. B. TREAT, Editor and Business Manager
Subscription Price Fifty cents a year. Five years 2.00.
Advertising Rates on Application
AGE AND BEAUTY
With the removal of the old buildings around the station we bid fare. well to the village period of our his tory and enter into a new phase, typified by the paving of streets, the installation of water, the beautification of parks, and, we trust, the develop. ment of an individual and suitable style of architecture. These old buildings, well constructed, carefully built, in their day objects of pride to builders and owners alike, have been for many years blots on the beauty of our town. This was so not only because they have been allowed to fall into dilapidation, but because they were not originally suit. ed to their surroundings. In some countries buildings increase in beauty as they blend into their settings and become a part of the beauty of the scenery. But in Florida there has been until lately no typical style of architecture. In the old days builders brought from New England and other parts of the north the style of architecture to which they were accustomed but which was entirely unsuited to Southern conditions of cli. mate and scenery.
Now, however, we need not make these mistakes. A style of architecture is growing up, beautiful in itself, substantial and breathing the spirit of the Southland. Can we not, as we
THE MAITLAND NEWS
rebuild our town, strive to have all the construction, whether of residence, business or public buildings harmoni. ous, fitting and beautiful, so that our town may conform in architecture to the high standard set by its founders in laying out shady streets and conserving and emphasizing the beauties already here, and thus become the true beauty spot of central Florida?
NEW BOOKS AT THE MAITLAND LIBRARY -
The Vanishing American, by Zane Grey. The Runaway Bag, by A. P. Lerhome. The Keeper of the Bees, by Gene S. Porter. The Power and the Glory, by Gilbert Parker. Florida in the Making, by Stockhidge and Perry. One of the interesting magazines on the Florida Table is the Florida Historical Quarterly, gotten out by the Florida Historical Society. Anyone who has books to contribute to the Library is asked to come municate with the Librarian, Miss Stella M. Waterhouse.
Kidd: Do you ever gamble? Green: No, I shoots craps with my own dice.
LOUIS L. COUDERT, INC. CIVIL ENGINEERS
Land Surveyors Town PLANNING
P. O. Building Maitland, Florida
General Repairing Vulcanizing
BOOSTING MAITLAND DAY AND NIGHT MAITLAND GARAGE
OPEN DAY AND NIGHT M. L. KYLE, Prop.

Wrecking Car Service Goodyear Tires and Tubes
Batteries Repaired and Recharged
Texaco Gas and Oils
TEN COMMANDMENTS For the HOME TOWN
III. Thou shalt elect as thy public servants in political office men of strong character, eager to conserve the best interests of thy people. And when thou hast elected such men thou shalt stand to support and encourage them, for their temptations are many and their burdens are not light.
CALENDAR Sunday, 10:00 a. mSunday school, Methodist and Presbyterian churches; :00 p. m., Epworth
League, Methodist church. First and third Sunday11 a. m. and :30 p. m. services, Methodist church. Second and fourth Sunday11 a. m. and :30 p. m. services Presby. terian church. Tuesday, :00 p. m.Municipal office, zoning commission. Wednesday, :00-6:00 p. m.– Library open. Second and fourth Thursday, 12:15 White Way RestaurantChamber of Commerce. Fourth Thursday, :00 p. m.– Council meeting. - Friday, :00 p. m., Hill SchoolBoy Scouts. Saturday, ::oo p. m. – Library
open. BUILD NOW
Substantial reductions in price on Lumber and Building Materials are now in effect.
Labor is more plenti
ful and efficient. The demand for homes
is steadily increasing.
Whether for investment or speculation, you ; will save money by building now.
THE MATLAND LUMBER CO.
Phone 1304-
(Illustrated House Plan Book is FREE)


THE MAITLAND NEWS
3]
MAITLAND AUXILIARY TAKES TRIP TO ENTERPRISE
The Maitland Auxiliary held the annual picnic and trip to the M. E. Orphanage at Benson Springs on Wednesday, the twenty-sixth of May. The sewing class of the Hill School and a few older folks were guests, making about forty in all, filling eight cars. A bountiful dinner was spread under the live oaks on the shore of Lake Monroe, after which the party went to the Orphanage and inspected the home. A generous donation of new clothing from the Needlework Guild and vegetables raised by Mrs. Cammack were presented to the phanage.
Lighting Fixtures
A Better Line of Fixtures will be hard to find.
Floor, Table and Boudoir Lamps Toasters, Grills, Waffle Irons and Two Burner Stoves
MAITLAND ELECTRIC SHOP J. H. Bennett, Prop.
Greetings
TO THE
MOTOR DRIVING PUBLIC FROM THE
White Way Motor Co.
Maitland
We are here with a WILL to do, equipment to do WITH and know HOW. You always get a bargain when you get the BEST. Can wash your car C L E A N. Grease all but the cushions.
Have TIRES, TUBES and other ACCESSORIES. We estimate your job and stand by it.
Would like to have you call. Phone 1204-JOHN NELSON W. A. MANNING
May 28, 1926. Miss Anna B. Treat, Editor, The Maitland News, Maitland, Florida. Dear Miss Treat: We take pleasure in congratulating you upon the appearance of your in teresting little publication, the Mait land News. It is timely, well written and with out a doubt fills a community need that has long been felt in Winter Parks sister city.” With every best wish for the con tinued success of The Maitland News, Very truly yours, winter Park Chamber of Com., A. C. Bradford, Pub. Director.
| Maitland Plumbing Company
C. D. HORNER
Plumbing, Piping,
Irrigating, Repairing ESTIMATES FURNISHED
Alvord L. Stone was graduated on June fourth from the Jefferson Medi. cal College, Philadelphia. Dr. Stone has received an appointment to the Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia, where he will be for the next two years.
A City Store in a
Country Town
Now Located in Our New Building
Modern Equipment Thruout
Quality, Prices and Service Not Excelled in
Orange County J. A. BROWN
Telephone 1310-R MAITLAND - FLORIDA
E. A. UPMEYER, Pres, DONALD G.

A Local Bank For Local People
Your Home Town Comes First
Patronize its Stores and Industries
J. A. BROWN, VPres. SPAIN, Cashier


THE MAITLAND NEWS
AN INTRODUCTION
This is an introduction to a series of articles which, it is hoped, will prove of general interest to the read. ers of this newspaper.
I have thought that, to those who are not acquainted with the business and conduct of banks and banking, a series of short talks with this subject will be welcomed as a means of bring: ing home to you the widespread serve ice that almost any bank offers to its depositors, and give you some idea of the tremendous scope and widespread activities of present day banking.
We are all more or less familiar with the general idea of a bank, or that side of it with which we come in contact when we make a deposit, cash a check, or negotiate a loan. How n know of the many interesting , nga at go on behind the cage? When a check on sonic other bank is deposited where does it go, what does it go through, and how d es it get to its destination? Where loes the bank get the new money they all - try to have, whence comes all the silver and gold, where does all the dirty and mutilated currency go, and what becomes of it
All of the above and many other interesting things will be explained in this column, and it is hoped that the explanation of the varied services and internal workings of a bank will bring this bank and its customers to a closer understanding, and foster a mutual friendship, understanding and trust, all of which are necessary in order that this institution can grow and develop with the Town of Maitland, and render to the town the service to which it is entitled, but which cannot be given without the full cooperation of all.
BANK OF MAITLAND A Local Bank for Local People
LOCAL ITEMS Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Milliman and daughters moved on Monday from the residence of Miss Stella Waterhouse to the Richmond residence, where they will be through the summer.
Mr. J. L. Perkins, who has been spending the winter with . H. Bennett, has returned to Harrihill, Mass., for the summer.
Mrs. E. C. Pipkin, of Savannah, Ga, who has been spending a few days with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Bennett, left last week for Georgetown, S. C., to spend the summer.
URING the World War there were certain enterprises whose Securities took a phenomenal jump in value because of the great demand for their product.
These securities were called in financial circles war brides” because happy was the man who possessed them.
During the month June we are offering, as an a isement, a certaiour ber of lots in Greeni yardens at prices that will surprise even the most sanguine buyer.
These lots we are calling our June Brides" because lucky will be those who get them.
There are only Seven of these Specially Selected Lots left now.
Let our salesman show you without any obligation on your part whatever
M A IT L A N ID
REALTY COMPANY

Locations

Categories