Naval Air Station Sanford Plat of Three Aviation Fields with Map of Seminole County

Dublin Core

Title

Naval Air Station Sanford Plat of Three Aviation Fields with Map of Seminole County

Alternative Title

NAS Sanford Aviation Fields and Map

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Airports--Florida
Maps--Illustrations
Seminole County (Fla.)

Description

Plat of three aviation fields of the Naval Air Station (NAS) Sanford in Sanford, Florida, in 1941. A map of Seminole County, originally drawn in 1936, is also drawn on the back side. The air station was commissioned on November 3, 1942, as a naval aviation training facility during World War II. The Navy continued to train pilots at NAS Sanford throughout the Korean War and Vietnam War. NAS Sanford was temporarily decommissioned after World War II in 1946, and decommissioned again in 1950 when it was the Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) Sanford, due to the outbreak of the Korean War and the ongoing Cold War. Soon afterward, the station was renamed NAS Sanford and redesigned as a full naval air station. On February 6, 1959, NAS Sanford was dedicated as Ramey Field in honor of Lieutenant Commander Robert W. Ramey. In 1968, due to lack of funding caused by the Vietnam War, Congress directed the closure of NAS Sanford.

The City of Sanford assumed authority over the former NAS Sanford facility the year after it closed and renamed it the Sanford Airport, which was managed by Commander J. S. "Red" Cleveland. The airport underwent various name changes over the next several decades: Sanford Regional Airport, Central Florida Regional Airport, Orlando Sanford Regional Airport, and its current name, Orlando-Sanford International Airport. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, several Naval buildings were demolished and new buildings were constructed.

Source

Original 12.75 x 29.75 inch drawing and map, May 25, 1941: Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1941-05-25

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 12.75 x 29.75 inch drawing and map, May 25, 1941.

Is Part Of

Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Naval Air Station Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

375 KB

Medium

12.75 x 29.75 inch drawing
12.75 x 29.75 inch map

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Naval Air Station Sanford, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Sanford Museum and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Metzger, Lewis W. From Celery City to Navy Town: The Impact of Naval Air Station Sanford during World War II. Orlando, Fla: University of Central Florida, 2010.
"Naval Air Station Sanford Memorial." Sanford Airport Memorial Committee. http://www.nassanfordmemorial.com/home.htm.
Shettle, M. L. United States Naval Air Stations of World War II. Bowersville, GA: Schaertel Pub. Co, 1995.

Transcript

MAP OF SEMINOLE COUNTY FLORIDA
1936

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 drawing
1 map

Physical Dimensions

12.75 x 29.75 inch

Locations

Categories