Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet

Dublin Core

Title

Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet

Alternative Title

Westinghouse Power Generation

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Westinghouse Electric Corporation

Description

A commemorative booklet published in 1993 or 1994 by Westinghouse's Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) in Orlando, Florida, to celebrate 100 years of "Westinghouse Power Generation."  The booklet tells the history from the founding of the business by George Westinghouse (1846-1914) and its continuing progress through 100 years of service to the electric utility industry and other industrial customers worldwide. The booklet also describes the products and services, technology and manufacturing capabilities of the Power Generation Business Unit of the early 1990s.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business the The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its divison headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling, and a top-level decision to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings in the area were leased and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation of Germany in 1998, additional buildings (Quad II and Quad III) were added to the original complex at the Quadrangle. From 1998 to 2003 the Orlando operation was known as Siemens-Westinghouse, after which the name of Westinghouse was dropped. The operation has been known as Siemens from that time forward.

Source

Original 32-page booklet, 1993.

Date Created

1993

Date Copyrighted

1993

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 32-page booklet, 1993.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

5.02 MB

Medium

32-page booklet

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Westinghouse Electric Company, Turtle Creek, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Westinghouse Power Generation Business Unit, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Science Teacher

Rights Holder

This resource is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Transcript

Document comprises a booklet 34 pages in length.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

32-page booklet

Locations

Categories