T. W. Lawton Elementary School Yearbook, 1970
Lawton Elementary Yearbook
Elementary schools--United States
A yearbook for the 1969-1970 school year at T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. Originally called the Orlando School, the one-room schoolhouse was first constructed in 1876 in order to serve the three families that lived on Old Orlando Road, near Bear Bully. Julia Golden was the first teacher and most of the students were African Americans. When one of the families moved to Clonts Quarters during the first year, the school moved with them. In 1899, the school was moved to the middle of town. In 1922, Seminole County built a four-room brick schoolhouse with an auditorium seating 500. White students attended the new schoolhouse, while black students remained at the original school, then called Oviedo Elementary School and later renamed Jackson Heights. In 1923, the new school had its first graduating class.
Original yearbook, 1970: Private Collection of Edwin White and Carolyn White.
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original yearbook, 1970.
Is Part Of
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
T. W. Lawton Elementary School, Oviedo, Florida
Private Collection of Edwin White and Carolyn White
"School History." Lawton Elementary, Teacher Center, Seminole County Public Schools. http://teachercenter.scps.k12.fl.us/education/school/schoolhistory.php?sectiondetailid=319&.
Document Item Type Metadata