Albertson Public Library Postcard

Dublin Core

Title

Albertson Public Library Postcard

Alternative Title

Albertson Library Postcard

Subject

Albertson Public Library, Orlando, Fla.
Buildings--Florida
Library Buildings--United States
Postcards--Florida--Orlando
Libraries--Florida
Orlando (Fla.)

Description

Postcard showing Albertson Public Library, formerly located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. Construction began in 1922 and the library opened in May of 1923. The City of Orlando had the library built after Colonel Charles Lewis Albertson donated his personal 12,000 to 15,000 volume book collection to the city. His condition was that the city build a home for his books. His collection was estimated at the time to be worth $100,000. The architect was well-known Murray S. King. The library was built in the Neo-Classical Revival style and took up about half the city block between Rosalind Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. The other half was occupied by the grounds of the Orlando Lawn Bowling Club. The building had two stories with a partially sunken first floor. It was Orlando's first regular public library. When the library opened, it had 21,000 volumes, and by the year's end it had increased to over 30,000. The Albertson Public Library was demolished in 1965 and the Orlando Public Library was built on the same lot in 1966.

Creator

Genuine Curteich-Chicago

Source

Original 5.5 x 3.5 inch color postcard by Genuine Curteich-Chicago: Orange News Company, Orlando, Florida: Private Collection of Thomas Cook.

Publisher

Orange News Company

Date Created

ca. 1930

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 5.5 x 3.5 inch color postcard by Genuine Curteich-Chicago: Orange News Company, Orlando, Florida.

Is Part Of

Private Collection of Thomas Cook.
Postcard Collection, Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

594 KB

Medium

5.5 x 3.5 inch color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Orlando, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.542476, -81.377149

Temporal Coverage

1930-01-01/1930-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher
Humanities Teacher
Visual Arts Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Genuine Curteich-Chicago and published by the Oranges News Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Genuine Curteich-Chicago  and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cook, Thomas

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

"Orlando's First Library." Orange County Library System. http://www.ocls.info/About/History/default.asp.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Transcript

O-3---Albertson Public Library, Orlando, Fla.
"The City Beautiful"
ORANGE NEWS CO., ORLANDO. FLA.
GENUINE CURTEICH-CHICAGO "C.T. ART-COLORTONE" POST CARD (REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.
POST CARD

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color postcard

Physical Dimensions

5.5 x 3.5 inch

Locations

Categories