Browse Items (8 total)

  • Collection: Georgetown Collection

SC00758.jpg
Wilson-Eichelberger Mortuary, located at 1100 Pine Avenue, in 2011. The mortuary is a long-standing business within the historic African-American district of Georgetown of Sanford, Florida.Georgetown was established by the city's founder, Henry…

SC00757.jpg
The Refoe residence, located at 619 South Sanford Avenue in Georgetown, an historic African-American neighborhood in Sanford, Florida. The house was the home of the Refoes, a family of educators who served the black community of Sanford. The Refoe…

SC00750.jpg
The Hopper Academy was the first African-American school in the Georgetown district of Sanford, Florida. Established in 1886, the school was originally named Colored School No. 11. A new building for the school was constructed at 1110 Pine Avenue in…

SC00747.jpg
Dr. Annye Refoe and Dr. Stephen Caldwell Wright in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Dr. Refoe, the daughter of Herman L. Refoe, Jr. and Shellye L. Refoe, was born on January 29, 1951. Since her parents both taught at Midway Elementary School, Refoe also…

SC00273.jpg
The Hopper Academy was the first African-American school in the Georgetown district of Sanford. Established in 1886, the school was originally named Colored School No. 11. In 1906, Joseph Nathaniel Crooms became the first principal of the Hopper…

SC00272.jpg
Seminole County Historic Marker about the community of Georgetown in Sanford, Florida. Henry Shelton Sanford established Georgetown in the 1870s as a community for migrating African Americans to settle. Georgetown became a self-sustaining community…