"The Entrance of the Faith in the Eastern Part of the Peninsula and Some Early Presbyterian Plantings in the Region of Saint Johns Presbytery" Manuscript

Dublin Core

Title

"The Entrance of the Faith in the Eastern Part of the Peninsula and Some Early Presbyterian Plantings in the Region of Saint Johns Presbytery" Manuscript

Alternative Title

"Early Presbyterian Plantings in the Region of Saint Johns Presbytery"

Subject

Presbyterians--United States
Churches--Florida
Florida Presbytery (Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.)
Presbyterian Church

Description

An original manuscript titled "The Entrance of the Faith in the Eastern Part of the Peninsula and Some Early Presbyterian Plantings in the Region of Saint Johns Presbytery," written by J. N. Whitner. The first Presbyterians in Florida migrated from the Carolinas and from Scotland beginning in 1820. The St. Johns Presbytery comprised of territory including and surrounding Fort Mellon, Fort Read, and Fort Brooke. In the early 1850s, Francis Lee Galloway, a leading elder of the Presbyterian Church, settled in the Fort Read community after migrating to Florida from Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.

Around 1855, Judge James G. Spear planted orange groves and built his home around Lake Apopka. Called Oakland, Speer's home served as a location for Christians to assemble daily for prayer and for Sunday services conducted by the judge himself. The first group of Presbyterians to arrive in Fort Read after the Seminole War were Dr. Andrew C. Caldwell and his family, who migrated to Florida from Greensboro, North Carolina, in May 1867.

In 1869, Reverend John W. Montgomery, the Evangelist of Florida Presbytery, organized the Sumter Church in Sumter County. The name of the church was later changed to the Leesburg Presbyterian Church and a building was constructed in 1884. Plans to organize and build a church at Fort Read began in 1869, with Reverend F. F. Montgomery conducting services. Silver Lake Church was officially organized in February 1870 and the church building was completed the following year. St. Johns Presbytery was organized at Silver Lake Church on March 9, 1878. In 1900, after much of the population shifted toward the growing Town of Sanford, the church dissolved.

Creator

Whitner, J. N.

Source

Original manuscript by J .N. Whitner: "The Entrance of the Faith in the Eastern Part of the Peninsula and Some Early Presbyterian Plantings in the Region of Saint Johns Presbytery," February 1870: box 173, folder 9.52, Chase Collection (MS 14), box 173, folder 9.52, Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.

Date Created

1870-02

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original manuscript by J .N. Whitner: "The Entrance of the Faith in the Eastern Part of the Peninsula and Some Early Presbyterian Plantings in the Region of Saint Johns Presbytery," February 1870.

Is Part Of

Sanford Country Club and Golf Course Collection, Sanford Collection, Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

Folder referenced in Chase Collection finding guide, http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/chase.htm.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

1.77 MB

Medium

9-page typewritten manuscript

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Euchee Valley, DeFuniak Spring, Florida
Fort Mellon, Florida
Oakland, Florida
Mellonville, Florida
Leesburg, Florida
Micanopy, Florida
Tallahassee, Florida
Quincy, Florida
Fort Read, Florida
Madison, Florida
Americus, Georgia
Oakland, Florida
Enterprise, Florida
Apopka, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Beresfod, Florida
Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Entire Chase Collection is comprised of four separate accessions from various donors, including Cecilia Johnson, the granddaughter of Joshua Coffin Chase and the children of Randall Chase.

Rights Holder

The displayed collection item is housed at Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. Rights to this item belong to the said institution, and therefore inquiries about the item should be directed there. RICHES of Central Florida has obtained permission from Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida to display this item for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Digital Collections (UFDC), University of Florida

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Bullock, James R., and Jerrold Lee Brooks. Heritage and Hope: A Story of Presbyterians in Florida. Orlando, Fla: Presbyterian Church (USA), Synod of Florida, 1987.
Kirk, Cooper Clifford. A History of the Southern Presbyterian Church in Florida, 1821-1891. Thesis (Ph. D.)--Florida State University, 1966.
Pierce, Albert W. The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. in Florida. S.l: Synod of Florida, 1948.

Transcript

THE ENTRANCE OF THE FAITH
IN THE EASTERN PART OF THE PENINSULA
AND SOME EARLY PRESBYTERIAN PLANTINGS IN THE REGION OF SAINT JOHNS PRESBYTERY
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

AFFECTIONATELY DEDICATED TO THE FAMILY OF THE REV. WILLIAM B. TELFORD BY MRS. J. N. WHITNER
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Locations

Categories