Browse Items (33 total)

  • Tags: First St.

SC00087.jpg
View of Hotel Forrest Lake and East 1st Street. Named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, the Forrest Lake Hotel has also been known as the Mayfair Inn and was briefly occupied by the Sanford Naval Academy. In 1916,…

SC00069.jpg
Sailor walking by the historic clock in Downtown Sanford, Florida. At the time that the photograph was taken, the clock was located at the intersection of West First Street and South Park Avenue.

the clock was originally purchased for the First…

SC00043.jpg
Excerpt from tour brochure of historical buildings in Sanford, Florida. This excerpt features the New Tribes Mission Headquarters, located at 1000 East First Street. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank,…

SC00049.jpg
The chapel at the New Tribes Mission, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. This room was formerly a hotel ballroom for the Mayfair Inn. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of…

SC00052.jpg
The communications facility at the New Tribes Mission, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916.…

SC00063.jpg
The Sanford Naval Academy, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in the 1970s. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916. Local architect…

SC00057.jpg
Newspaper article on the development of the New Tribes Mission, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in…

SC00058.jpg
Guest facilities at the New Tribes Mission. This particular building was formerly a classroom building for the Sanford Naval Academy. The New Tribes Mission, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. Originally named after the Sanford…

SC00060.jpg
The lobby of the New Tribes Mission, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916. Local architect…

SC00062.jpg
The swimming pool at New Tribes Mission, located at 1000 East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The pool was installed by William E. Kirchhoff, Jr.'s agricultural crew and became Sanford's first swimming pool. The pool overlooked Lake…

SC00190.jpg
When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, Florida, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were given names of native Florida trees, while streets running parallel to the lake…

SC00191.jpg
First Street between Palmetto Avenue and Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were…

SC00194.jpg
Former building at First Street and Magnolia Avenue prior to the construction of the N.P. Yowell and Garner Woodruff Buildings. The building was named after Fort Reid, which was established by Colonel William Harney on July 7, 1840. Colonel Harney…

SC00197.jpg
Sanford, Florida after the Great Fire of 1887. On September 27, 1887, "The Big Fire" burned and damaged the majority of the east side of Sanford. The fire began at Altree's Bakery on First Street and quickly spread through the wooden buildings in…

SC00198.jpg
Sanford, Florida after the Great Fire of 1887. On September 27, 1887, "The Big Fire" burned and damaged the majority of the east side of Sanford. The fire began at Altree's Bakery on First Street and quickly spread through the wooden buildings in…

SC00107.jpg
The former building of Sanford Ice, Light, and Power built in 1924. Ice manufacturing became a prominent industry in the United States by the beginning of the twentieth century. Most ice houses consisted of two stories with the first floor used as…

SC00110.jpg
The former building of the Sanford Public Service Company, located at 1501 West First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. When the building first opened in 1922, it operated as an ice house. Ice houses provided blocks of ice for home ice boxes and…

Eimg029.jpg
Looking southwest from the intersection of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When Henry Shelton Sanford purchased land in central Florida, he developed citrus groves known as the Belair Groves and Experimental…

According to its website, "The Sanford Museum houses exhibits illustrating the history of the City of Sanford and the life and times of City founder Henry S. Sanford.

Built as a memorial to Henry Shelton Sanford, the museum houses his library and…

SC00125.jpg
View of the First National Bank No. 1, located at 101 West First Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was originally constructed in 1883 by Lyman Bank and had a brick facade. In 1887, the bank switched hands and became the First National Bank.…

SC00126.jpg
The DeForest Block, located at 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was constructed in 1887 by Henry L. DeForest as a general store. During that same year, Downtown Sanford along First Street was devastated by a fire that started…

According to its website, "The mission of the Historic Sanford Welcome Center is to enrich the Sanford experience by serving as a communications hub; operating as a welcome center to provide education and information marketing Sanford as an arts,…

Creative Sanford, Inc. is a non-profit organization created to manage Celery Soup: Florida's Folk Life Play community theater productions. The original idea for the Celery Soup project came from Jeanine Taylor, the owner of a folk-art gallery on…

GC_00165.jpg
The Howard-Packard Land Company offices, based out of the Peoples Bank Building located on 101 West First Street in Sanford, Florida.The building was constructed in 1883 as the Lyman Bank and is the oldest brick building in Sanford's downtown…

GC_00249.jpg
A town fair held on First Street following the period in Sanford's history known as the "Decade of Disasters." The "Decade of Disasters" started with a bakery fire in 1887, which destroyed much of the city's east side, including many of the wooden…

GC_00356.jpg
The purpose of this cityscape is to contrast the drastic transformation the city of Sanford, Florida underwent between 1877 and 1910. Within the space of a single generation, the city had gone from a remote outpost for crackers and the most hardened…

GC_00357.jpg
This is an especially dated dry plate photograph of Sanford, Florida in 1887. The majority of Sanford's buildings prior to the fire of 1887 were built of wood, without much structural integrity. The photograph shows signs of flaking emulsion, as…

GC_00362.jpg
Built in 1875 by General Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891), the Sanford House Hotel was able to accommodate over 150 guests. At the turn of the century, the Sanford House Hotel was the center of all major city events and celebrations. The hotel…

SC00506.jpg
The Sales Department staff at Chase & Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, Florida, around 1910. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold…

PHC00125.pdf
The 1910 Salmagundi was the first yearbook for Sanford High School. The yearbook was named after a Native American word meaning "a general mixture." Carrie Lovell was the editor-in-chief of the Salmagundi, which cost fifteen cents. It has 40 pages,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;