Browse Items (293 total)

  • Tags: Downtown Orlando

OR00047.jpg
A flyer for the Albertson Public Library's silver anniversary. The library, which is located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, celebrated its silver anniversary in November of 1948.Before there was a public library in…

OR00048.jpg
A library book called Public Libraries in the United States of America: Their History, Condition, and Management from the Albertson Public Library. The book is from the Albertson Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown…

OR00049.jpg
A flyer for the Orange Book Festival at the Albertson Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The Orange Book Festival was held in the summer of 1950.Before there was a public library in Orlando, the local…

OR00050.jpg
The Orlando Chamber of Commerce building, located at 113 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a chamber of commerce in Orlando, there was the Board of Trade. It was established 1913 and aimed to promote the growing…

OR00051.jpg
The interior of the Orlando Chamber of Commerce building, located at 113 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a chamber of commerce in Orlando, there was the Board of Trade. It was established 1913 and aimed to…

OR00052.jpg
A tile from the Orlando Chamber of Commerce building, located at 113 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a chamber of commerce in Orlando, there was the Board of Trade. It was established 1913 and aimed to promote…

OR00054.jpg
The City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at 19 North Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1883, after a dressmaking store in Orlando caught fire, William C. Sherman, a previous member of the Boston Fire…

OR00055.jpg
A fire hose nozzle from the City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at 19 North Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1883, after a dressmaking store in Orlando caught fire, William C. Sherman, a previous…

OR00061.jpg
The Orlando Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a public library in Orlando, the local Sorosis Club ran a circulating library for the city. After years of running the library out of…

OR00033.jpeg
Sears, Roebuck & Company store, which was located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building, as well as the city of Orlando, was…

OR00034.jpeg
The former location of the Associated Radio Store, located at 149 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2014. At the time that this photograph was taken, IKON Office Solutions was operating from this address.

OR00035.jpeg
The former location of Gibbs-Louis, Inc. Founded in 1945 by Irving Gibbs, Gibbs-Louis was one of the most popular women's apparel stores in Downtown Orlando in the 1940s and 1950s. Along with the downtown location at 131 North Orange Avenue, there…

OR00036.jpeg
The former location of Kiddie Korner, a children's store that was also know as Kiddie Shoppe. The store was opened by Nat Berman and Pauline Berman at 66 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 1930s. The shoppe later expanded…

OR00040.jpeg
The former location of Denmark's Sporting Goods, located at 149 North Magnolia Avenue (formerly Main Street) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Denmark's was founded in 1941 by Tom Denmark and quickly became one of Central Florida's largest sporting goods…

OR00041.jpeg
The Cathedral Church of St. Luke, located at 130 North Magnolia Avenue in Dowtown Orlando, Florida, in 2014. The church was founded in 1867 by Francis W. Eppes (1801-1881), the nephew of Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826). The congregation originally…

OR00062.JPG
An exhibit created by Orlando Remembered at the Orlando Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The Orlando Remembered Committee of the Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc. was created to "showcase…

ASC00001.wav
An oral history of Bob Hattaway, conducted by Daniel Motta on June 14, 2012. Hattaway was born and raised in Altamonte Springs, Florida. In the interview, Hattaway discusses growing up in Altamonte Springs, working in the fern industry, his real…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00052.wav
Oral history told by Peter Newman, playwright, director, and board member of Creative Sanford, Inc., a non-profit organization created to manage Celery Soup: Florida's Folk Life Play community theater productions. Celery Soup's first production was…

OR00064.JPG
Six men standing in front of Nick Serros' Fish & Poultry Company in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime around 1938. Nick Serros (b. 1888), the company owner, was born in Greece in 1888 and immigrated to the United States in 1923. He opened his…

OR00065.jpg
A fishing lure handmade by Jim Pfiffer and sold at Jackson Sporting Goods, which was owned by William R. Jackson. From approximately 1935 to 1950, the store was located at 28 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. According to the records…

OR00066.JPG
This photograph shows three businesses located on South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1941 and 1946: City Cab Company Taxi Service, Kelly's Tires, and the American Fire and Casualty Company. City Cab Co. was founded by…

OR00067.JPG
In this image, Max Yacobian is seen trimming the hair of Doug Crenshaw in 1953. The boy's father and grandfather, Don Crenshaw and Earl Crenshaw, respectively, are also in attendance. Yacobian worked as a barber at Star Barbershop since 1938, and…

OR00068.JPG
Cervantes Spanish Restaurant was one of the first Spanish restaurants to come to Orlando, Florida. It was run by Paul Vines and his wife, Annie Vines, and their business partner, C. Menendez. The restaurant sat at 19 East Church Street and stayed at…

OR00069.jpg
This image is of South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1930 and 1950. This lot, as well as the rest of the block, was later replaced by the CNA Tower and Barnett Plaza.

OR00070.jpg
Hotel Bass, which was operated under that title from 1946 to 1965. The hotel was owned by Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) and his wife, Ethel Bass. Located at 217 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the building itself was built in 1907 and…

OR00072.jpg
Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) was born in Kissimmee, Florida, on January 9, 1900. He had attended the University of Florida (UF) and was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, a 32d Degree Mason, a member of the Grotto and the Elks Club. Bass belonged to…

OR00073.JPG
The Thomas building was an architectural arcade, which included several stores. The building was located at the intersection of Church Street and Magnolia Avenue, with a street address of 100 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Magnolia…

OR00074.jpg
An advertisement for Johnson Electric Company published in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 23 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the company furnished services…

OR00075.jpg
An advertisement for Stanley's Radio Sales & Service in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 226 South Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando,…

OR00076.jpg
An advertisement for real estate agent J. Daniel Kolar in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Kolar ran a real estate business from 206 South Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue)…

OR00077.jpg
Andvertisement for the Roper Realty Company in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 200 South Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando, Florida, Roper Realty…

OR00078.jpg
An advertisement for Vergowe Agency in the Florida Polk's Orlando City Directories: Including Conway, Maitland and Winter Park for 1949. Located at 29 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, Vergowe Agency was founded by Milton Stanley…

OR00079.jpg
The Downtown Orlando Information Center with the BB&T Bank building in the background. The Barnett Plaza was built in 1962 and was the location of the CNA Tower. The center is located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida.

OR00081.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00082.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00083.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00084.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00085.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00086.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00087.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00088.JPG
An etching of the Barnett Plaza and the adjacent CNA Tower, built in 1962. The plaza and the tower were constructed on the block surrounded by South Orange Avenue, East Church Street, South Magnolia Avenue (formerly South Main Street), and East…

OR00071.JPG
A thermometer from Hotel Bass, which operated under that title from 1946 to 1965. The hotel was owned by Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) and his wife, Ethel Bass. Located at 217 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the building itself was…

CSC00005T.pdf
An oral history of Dick Quentin Harkey (b. 1942). In 1942, Harkey was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, and is the fifth child in his family. In 1957, his family moved to Gainesville, Georgia. Harkey attended Young Harris College and the University…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

CFMH00004.jpg
A ticket stub for concert featuring Leo Kottke (b. 1945) at the Great Southern Music Hall, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on August 16, 1979. The ticket was $6.50 and the show began at 8 p.m. Leo Kottke is an…

CFMH00026.jpg
A ticket stub for a concert featuring Head East at the Great Southern Music Hall, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida. The concert took place on February 10, 1979, at midnight. The ticket price was $6.50 for general admission,…

OC00205.jpg
A photographic postcard of the Masonic Temple, located on 205 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed in the 20th Century Commercial style in 1925 and was dedicated on January 13, 1926. The original owner was the Free…

OC00197.jpg
An undertaker's memorandum for Amos Arrington (1892-1894), who passed away on August 11, 1894. Arrington was an African-American child who was just under two years old when he died. His address is listed as Middle Street, which was likely in the…

OC00198.jpg
An undertaker's memorandum for Isaac Chapman (1792-1894), who passed away on August 30, 1894. Chapman was an African American who died at the age of 102 years and six months. His cause of death was listed as old age and cholera morbus. Chapman was…

OC00199.jpg
An undertaker's memorandum for Josephine L. Schultz (ca. 1854-1894), who passed away on October 22, 1894. Schultz was a female from Winter Park, Florida, who died at the age of 44. Her cause of death was listed as consumption, which is now more…

OC00200.jpg
A postcard showing the Sperry Fountain on the southern shore of Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The fountain was named in honor of Frank E. Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1913 to 1916. Lake Eola and the surrounding park are one of…

OC00202.jpg
A postcard featuring the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) Railway Company station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 20th century. The station was first constructed in 1880, connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the…

OC00204.jpg
A postcard featuring Orange Court Apartment Hotel, located at 650 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The hotel was designed in Spanish Revival architectural style by G. Lloyd Preacher (1882-1972) of Atlanta, Georgia, and constructed…

RRD00011.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, in the 1970s. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00012.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00041.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00046.jpg
A postcard of Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00047.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2012. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00058.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South Florida Railroad it was…

CFMH00110.JPG
The Supervillains performing live at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on July 20, 2007. The first photograph features, from left to right, Scott "Skart" Suldo on guitar, Dominic Maresco on drums, Jonathan…

CFMH00113.jpg
The Supervillains performing live at the Beacham Theater, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 21, 2012. The first and second photographs feature, from left to right, drummer/vocalist Dominic Maresco and bassist…

CFMH00114.JPG
Solillaquists of Sound performing live at at Slingapour's, a venue located at 18 Wall Street in Wall Street Plaza in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on February 19, 2003. The first photograph features, from left to right, Tonya Combs, Alexandrah, DiViNCi…

CFMH00119.JPG
Solillaquists of Sound performing live at BackBooth, located at 37 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on October 25, 2003. The first photograph features Alexandra Sarton, popularly known as Alexandrah, and the second photograph shows,…

CFMH00121.JPG
Solillaquists of Sound performing live at the Florida Music Festival, held at Wall Street Plaza in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on April 24, 2014. These photographs features, from left to right, Tonya Combs, Asaan Brooks, Glen Valencia, Jr., and…

CFMH00123.JPG
The Bloody Jug Band at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during the Florida Music Festival on April 26, 2014. The Florida Music Festival, or FMF, was founded by aXis Magazine & Promotions in 2002 as a…

CFMH00131.jpg
The Beacham Theater, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during Ralphfest 2. Ralphfest is an annual concert festival in Downtown Orlando, Florida, that celebrates the memory and musical influence of Ralph Ameduri, Jr.…

CFMH00159.JPG
A crowd lined up down the street for a sold-out JunkieRush show at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on July 30, 2007. The Social is an Indie music venue in Downtown Orlando that hosts international,…

CFMH00160.JPG
JunkieRush at a sold-out show at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando on July 30, 2007. This photograph features drummer Bobby Koelble.Formed in 2000 by guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Bobby Koelble, who was also a member…

CFMH00136.JPG
Michelle Beebs performing live with Beeb$ and Her Money Makers at E.L.L.A. Music Fest at H2O Live!, located at 100 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 3, 2012. The E.L.L.A. Music Festival, which stands for…

CFMH00137.JPG
Milkanette "Milka" Ramos performing live with MILKA at E.L.L.A. Music Fest at H2O Live!, located at 100 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 3, 2012. The E.L.L.A. Music Festival, which stands for…

CFMH00138.JPG
Kaleigh Baker and the Downgetters performing live at E.L.L.A. Music Fest at H2O Live!, located at 100 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 3, 2012. This photograph features saxophonist/keyboardist Nathan Anderson and…

CFMH00139.JPG
Meka, also known as Ms. Meka, performing live with Meka Nism at H2O Live!, located at 100 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 3, 2012. The E.L.L.A. Music Festival, which stands for Elevate.Listen.Love.Appreciate, was…

CFMH00141.JPG
Sunny Raskin, also known as SUNNY, performing live at E.L.L.A. Fest at H2O Live!, located at 100 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 3, 2012. The E.L.L.A. Music Festival, which stands for Elevate.Listen.Love.Appreciate,…

CFMH00145.JPG
Beeb$ and Her Money Makers at the group's CD release party at The Beacham Theater in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on . The first two photographs feature kazoo player and vocalist Michelle Beebs and the third photographs shows bassist Levon White.Led by…

CFMH00164.JPG
Gargamel! performing live at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on July 31, 2003. The first photograph features, from left to right, Wayne Larsen on keyboards, Ryan Dailey on guitar, Chuck Ellis on vocals,…

HCF00042.pdf
Episode 42 of A History of Central Florida podcasts: Jim Crow Signs. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These podcasts can involve the participation or…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Episode 50 of A History of Central Florida podcasts: Vernacular Exhibits. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These podcasts can involve the participation…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Episode 42 of A History of Central Florida podcasts: Jim Crow Signs. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These podcasts can involve the participation or…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00091.jpg
A receipt for a PO box for R. C. M. Zachary with the box number that he paid for, listed along with the dates of purchase and when the rent for the PO box expires. In addition, the receipt shows the exact amount of $4.52 that Zachary paid along with…

OR00092.JPG
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to…

OR00093.jpg
A leather postal mail strap from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street. Mail straps were used by Orlando postal workers to tie mail together. Leather satchels were used by U.S. postal workers to carry mail from 1864 to…

OR00094.JPG
St. Joseph's Academy's seven-member boys basketball team standing in a wooded area in 1929. St. Joseph's Academy, located at 53 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, opened on October 17, 1889, with just 40 students. The school, built…

OR00095.JPG
Seventh and eighth graders at St. Joseph's Academy, located at 53 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1928. St. Joseph's Academy opened on October 17, 1889, with just 40 students. The school, built by Father J. J. Creed of St.…

OR00096.JPG
A letter of correspondence between R. R. Reid, a property and store owner in Palatka, and Bishop John Moore over the purchase of a plot of land. At the time, Bishop Moore was in charge of the St. Augustine Catholic Diocese, which included Orlando,…

OR00097.JPG
Students outside of St. Joseph’s Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1889, St. Joseph’s Academy was constructed on the church grounds of St. James Catholic Church. The Catholic school was administrated by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The…

OR00098.JPG
Students outside of St. Joseph’s Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1889, St. Joseph’s Academy was constructed on the church grounds of St. James Catholic Church. The Catholic school was administrated by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The…

OR00100.jpg
The classic and distinguished hat that was a part of the attire worn by both postmen and mail truck drivers. The iconic badge of the U.S. Post Office adorns the face of the hat to identify postmen as federal employees and also to signify the role…

OR00102.jpg
This is a replica of a mail satchel cart used to transport multiple satchels of mail to ease the burden upon the mail carrier. The use of satchel carts is very situational and used in instances where the postal vehicle would be unable to reach a…

OR00106.JPG
"Two envelopes, which were processed by the Downtown Orlando Post Office and addressed to Betty Riddle. The first envelope was stamped September 15, 1941, while the other envelope, sent nine months later, was stamped June 13, 1942. Riddle was a born…

OR00107.JPG
A class picture taken outside of St. Joseph's Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The academy was created in 1889, along with St. James Cathedral School, and they were both placed along the intersection of Robinson Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. In…

OR00108.jpg
A traditional mail satchel worn by mail carriers to deliver their packages. The one shown in the picture was one of the series of leather satchels that were manufactured and used from 1868 until 1974, when they were phased out by the canvas satchels…

OR00109.JPG
The former building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown, Orlando, Florida. From 1917 to 1941, the Orlando post office was housed in a building on the corner of Central Boulevard and Court Avenue and…

OR00111.jpg
This is a neighborhood mailbox padlock from the post-World War II period. Its case and shackle are made of brass, opened by key, and uses a five-lever lock. It was a type of lock distributed by the U.S. Post Office Department to residents of Orlando…