Browse Items (293 total)

  • Tags: Downtown Orlando

HH00052.wav
Oral history told by Peter Newman, playwright, director, and board member of Creative Sanford, Inc., a non-profit organization created to manage Celery Soup: Florida's Folk Life Play community theater productions. Celery Soup's first production was…

OR00273.jpg
A history of how the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce petitioned the federal government to construct the new Downtown Orlando Post Office and federal court building in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1935. After a request was filed by U.S.…

OR00276.jpg
A letter from Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. In the letter, Sen. Andrews requests a brief history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. He planned to use said information to present that the…

OR00278.jpg
A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the…

OR00320.pdf
A telegram is from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to James Milligan. It is regarding the dedication ceremony of the new building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In the letter, Sen. Andrews informs Milligan…

OR00137.mp3
An oral history interview of Dann Pottinger, conducted by Caitlin Baldwin on November 9, 2015. Pottinger was born August 14, 1947, on the British Bay Island in Honduras. He moved to Orlando, Florida as a small child and attended primary school in the…

OR00142.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered, shows objects from the Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Included in the exhibit are objects from the Wyoming Hotel, which once stood at the…

OR00143.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered, shows objects from Howard Middle School, located at 800 East Robinson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit shows objects from what was Orlando High School from 1927 to 1952, and then Howard…

OR00145.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered, shows objects from the SunTrust Center, located at 200 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit features items from previous occupants of the block, including Albert's Drug Store and…

OR00332.jpg
An elevated view of Orlando, Florida, in 1884. The lithograph focused on Sinclair's Real Estate Agency, located on the corner of Pine Street and South Orange Avenue. Other sites highlighted in the lithograph include the home of J. G. Sinclair, the…

OR00123.JPG
A letter of correspondence concerning the formal dedication of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The ceremony was sponsored by the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce. The…

OR00275.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). The letter was written in response to Sen. Andrews' request to be informed about the history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. Beggs states he will…

OR00277.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946), regarding the Senator’s request to be informed about the history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. Beggs states he has enclosed the requested…

OR00279.jpg
A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the…

OR00281.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). In the letter, Beggs informs Sen. Andrews that he has received a telegram from Smith W. Purdum, the Second Assistant Postmaster General. Beggs also…

OR00282.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). In reference to two prior letters, Beggs had prepared statistics for Sen. Andrews’ speech to be delivered at the dedication ceremony for the new…

OR00138.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered shows objects from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 E Jefferson Street. The post office was constructed in 1941 on land purchased from the adjacent St James Catholic Church. It still…

OC00104.jpg
Erected in Downtown Orlando’s Lake Eola Park in 1988, the red Chinese pagoda-like structure is called a "ting" due to its single story. It was constructed out of wood, ceramic, brick, and mortar. Dr. Nelson Ying bestowed the ting to the City of…

OC00105.jpg
The Confederate Soldiers, Sailors, and Statesmen Memorial was erected in 1911 by the Annie Coleman Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The construction of the monument was spearheaded by Mrs. Abernethy, the President of the…

RRD00012.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

OR00091.jpg
A receipt for a PO box for R. C. M. Zachary with the box number that he paid for, listed along with the dates of purchase and when the rent for the PO box expires. In addition, the receipt shows the exact amount of $4.52 that Zachary paid along with…

OR00290.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr. (ca. 1919-2012) to George A. Chatelain of Mansura, Louisiana. This letter was written in response to Chatelain’s inquiry regarding the purchase of sweet potatoes. Bryant suggests Otto Cooper,…

OR00297.jpg
A routing slip addressed to Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr. (ca. 1919-2012) regarding a visit by Germain Gerin to the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Gerin, an employee of a post office in Paris, was visiting her…

OC00004.pdf
Postcard showing the American Legion Hall, located at the 900 block of Orange Avenue on Lake Ivanhoe. The hall was constructed in 1938 with a Spanish Colonial Revival Style. The building cost $82,000 and replaced an earlier American Legion Hall built…

OR00291.jpg
A letter from George A. Chatelain of Mansura, Louisiana, to Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr.. This letter was written in response to Chatelain’s inquiry regarding the purchase of sweet potatoes. Bryant suggests Otto Cooper, presumably a…

OC00110.jpg
City of Orlando Mayor Bill Frederick and Dr. Nelson Ying placing the top piece of the Red Chinese Ting in Downtown Orlando's Lake Eola Park. Erected in 1988, the red Chinese pagoda-like structure is called a ting due to its single story. It was…

TCC00003.jpg
The Dickson & Ives Building, located at 214 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In the 1880s, H. H. Dickson and Sidney Ives, Sr. arrived in Orlando and opened mercantile establishments independently of one another. The two…

TCC00005.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, in 2002. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated to Orlando in 1886…

TCC00006.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated…

TCC00007.jpg
The Downtown Orlando skyline, with Lake Eola in the distance, in 2002. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day…

TCC00010.jpg
The Elijah Hand Building, located at 13-25 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The site, formerly occupied by the Magnolia Hotel, was purchased by Elijah Hand in 1905. Hand migrated to Orlando from Shelbyville, Indiana, in 1885…

TCC00012.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00013.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00014.jpg
The Sun First National Bank of Orlando, located at 190 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1911, Seth Woodruff founded the People's National Bank and renamed it the First National Bank in 1920. In 1926, the bank announced…

TCC00017.jpg
The Hanson Building, located at 27 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed during 1883-1884 in the nineteenth-century commercial style. In 1894, Andrew Hanson purchased the property for the Hanson Shoe…

TCC00018.jpg
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

TCC00020.jpg
The floor plans for the Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The plans include marquise, plaster ceilo grilles, and plaster plans. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores…

TCC00024.jpg
The Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores founded by Samuel H. Kress in 1896. The building was designed with Art Deco details by Edward…

TCC00026.jpg
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

TCC00027.jpg
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

TCC00028.jpg
The Masonic Temple, located on 205 East Central Boulevard, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2002. The building was constructed in the 20th Century Commercial style in 1925 and was dedicated on January 13, 1926. The original owner was the Free and…

TCC00030.jpg
The entrance of the McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory…

TCC00031.jpg
The McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory operated its store and…

TCC00033.jpg
The McEwan Sanitarium, located at 100 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2000. The two-story clinic was constructed in 1911 and expanded to three stories around 1920. The building served as the hospital of Dr. John McEwan, who…

TCC00036.jpg
The Metcalf Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. in 2002. The building opened in 1924 and was the third skyscraper in Orlando. A. G. Bentley built the structure for the Orlando Federal Savings and Loan…

TCC00044.jpg
The Orlando SouthTrust Bank, located at 135 West Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1887, the SouthTrust Corporation was founded as Birmingham Trust and Savings Company in Birmingham, Alabama. The bank was renamed the…

TCC00045.jpg
The Rutland Building, located at 63 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original two-story structure was designed by F. Earl Deloe in the Art Moderne-style for Joseph Rutland's menswear store in 1941. In 1952, three…

TCC00047.jpg
The Teele Building, located at 123 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This site was originally occupied by Joseph Bumby's warehouse for hay, grain, and fertilizer. In the late 1880s, W .L. and Silas Dolive operated a packing…

TCC00049.jpg
Vivaldi Ristorante, located at 107 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Vivaldi is an Italian restaurant named after Antonio Lucio Vivaldi, a Baroque composer, Catholic priest, and violinist in Venice, Italy, during the 18th…

TCC00052.jpg
Wall Street Plaza, located at 26 Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Wall Street Plaza is a complex of locally-owned bars, restaurants, and nightclubs established in 1995. The plaza originally had just one bar and has grown to include…

TCC00053.jpg
The Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores established by…

TCC00056.jpg
Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during demolition in 2003. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores…

OC00085.jpg
The Clark C. Griffith Memorial at Tinker Field, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Clark Calvin Griffith (1869-1955), also known as "The Old Fox," was a Major League Baseball pitcher, team manager, and team…

OC00086.jpg
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

OC00087.jpg
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

OC00097.jpg
The Tinker Field Stadium, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Tinker Field is named after Joseph B. Tinker, who was a shortstop for the Chicago Cubs, manager of the Orlando Tigers, and the first Floridian to be…

TCC00153.jpg
Ebenezer United Methodist Church (UMC), located at 594-596 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The earliest structure at this location was a wooden church built in 1872 on Terry Avenue. Ebenezer was the first African-American…

TCC00160.jpg
The First United Methodist Church (UMC) of Orlando, located at 142 East Jackson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1859, Methodist circuit riders began conducting services in Orlando. Originally called the Methodist Episcopal Church,…

TCC00161.jpg
The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, located at 106 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in 1889 in the Carpenter Gothic style. The church was organized in 1876 with Reverend Henry Keigwinas the…

TCC00162.jpg
The Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Orlando, located at 701 West South Street, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2003. This African-American congregation was organized in 1919 and originally met in various locations. When land was purchased for the…

TCC00167.jpg
Sioux Villa, located at 60 Waverly Place in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. In 1906, this two-story bungalow was built for Mahlon Gore on the south shore of Lake Lucerne. Gore was born in Climax, Michigan, on February 4, 1837. In 1861, he…

TCC00176.jpg
St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1881, Bishop John Moore purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January…

TCC00087.jpg
The Davis National Guard Armory, located at 649 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In September of 1937, the City of Orlando donated land and $80,000 to deter the U.S. National Guard from relocating outside of Orlando. The…

TCC00093.jpg
55 West, located at 55 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during construction in 2007. 55 West is an apartment building that overlooks Church Street Station and stands next to the SunTrust Center. Construction was completed in 2009. 55…

TCC00094.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00095.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00096.jpg
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The site was originally occupied by Memorial High School, the second high school constructed in Orlando.In 1961, the school building was…

TCC00097.jpg
The former Orlando Hotel building, located at 129-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2002. The site was originally occupied by the Slemons Department Store.In 1924, the current brick building was constructed by the J. C. Hanner…

TCC00098.jpg
The Wells' Built Museum of African American History and Culture, located at 511 West South Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The hotel was constructed by one of Orlando's first African-American physicians, Dr. William Monroe Wells, to…

TCC00100.jpg
A wakeboard ramp on Lake Eola Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain,…

TCC00103.jpg
Sperry Fountain at Lake Eola Park Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Ezra Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1914 to 1916. Born in Bethany, Connecticut, Sperry was a graduate of the Fort Edward…

TCC00110.jpg
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Lake Eola and the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain can be seen in the distance.

The site was originally occupied by Memorial High…

TCC00115.jpg
Lake Eola Park in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain, Orlando's…

TCC00118.jpg
Lake Lucerne in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2001. Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the City of Orlando. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s.…

TCC00130.jpg
The Church Street Market Building, located at the corner of West Pine Street and South Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1972, entrepreneur Bob Snow made plans to develop an entertainment complex in order to revitalize Downtown…

TCC00131.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company. The depot was designed by T. B.…

TCC00132.jpg
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line…

TCC00133.jpg
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line…

TCC00134.jpg
North Court Avenue at East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

TCC00139.jpg
The Lynx Central Station, located at 455 North Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during renovations in 2004. The former bus station was located at 78 West Central Boulevard, which is the site of City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1 as of…

TCC00142.jpg
The intersection of Orange Avenue and Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando in 2001, Florida. The SunTrust Center can be seen on the left and a Lynx bus stop can be seen on the right.

The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and…

TCC00145.jpg
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

TCC00147.jpg
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

TCC00149.jpg
Construction at the Orange Avenue Plaza Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

TCC00152.jpg
Robinson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day Downtown Orlando.…

TCC00066.jpg
The City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at the corner of North Magnolia Avenue and Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2004. Inspired by a fire in 1883, Orlando's first volunteer fire department was established by William C. Sherman,…

TC00067.jpg
The Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1857, B. F. Caldwell donated four acres of land at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) for…

TC00081.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00082.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…