Browse Items (293 total)

  • Tags: Downtown Orlando

HCF00042.pdf
Episode 42 of A History of Central Florida podcasts: Jim Crow Signs. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These podcasts can involve the participation or…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Episode 42 of A History of Central Florida podcasts: Jim Crow Signs. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These podcasts can involve the participation or…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Episode 50 of A History of Central Florida podcasts: Vernacular Exhibits. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These podcasts can involve the participation…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

RRD00046.jpg
A postcard of Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

eb4e8fa8bf8a514f0c0fa25e47bc22ac.png
An advertisement produced to showcase the advent of mid-century modernism in Orlando, Florida. The film depicts marketing strategies aimed at attracting white middle-to-upper class men in either military or defense technology engineering professions.…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00002.pdf
Postcard showing an airplane view of Downtown Orlando's business district. In the foreground is Lake Eola with an early band shell placed out into the water. On its shores is the Rosalind Club (green roof on the left) and the Masonic Temple (to the…

OR00045.jpg
The Albertson Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a public library in Orlando, the local Sorosis Club ran a circulating library for the city. After years of running the library out of…

OR00044.jpg
An entrance lamp from the Albertson Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a public library in Orlando, the local Sorosis Club ran a circulating library for the city. After years of…

OC00003.pdf
Postcard showing Albertson Public Library, formerly located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. Construction began in 1922 and the library opened in May of 1923. The City of Orlando had the library built after Colonel Charles Lewis…

OR00047.jpg
A flyer for the Albertson Public Library's silver anniversary. The library, which is located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, celebrated its silver anniversary in November of 1948.Before there was a public library in…

OR00046.jpg
A stamp inside a library book from the Albertson Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before there was a public library in Orlando, the local Sorosis Club ran a circulating library for the city. After…

OR00086.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OC00004.pdf
Postcard showing the American Legion Hall, located at the 900 block of Orange Avenue on Lake Ivanhoe. The hall was constructed in 1938 with a Spanish Colonial Revival Style. The building cost $82,000 and replaced an earlier American Legion Hall built…

TCC00094.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00095.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

WPC00001.pdf
Postcard showing the Annie Russell Theatre, located on the campus of Rollins College at 1000 Holt Avenue in Winter Park, Florida. The theatre was built in 1932 and was donated to the Rollins by Mary Curtis Bok Zimbalist in honor of her friend, Annie…

OC00005.pdf
Postcard showing Lake Eola Park and its bandstand in Orlando, Florida. The bandstand is on the west side of the park. Lake Eola and its surrounding park are one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. From its earliest…

OR00088.JPG
An etching of the Barnett Plaza and the adjacent CNA Tower, built in 1962. The plaza and the tower were constructed on the block surrounded by South Orange Avenue, East Church Street, South Magnolia Avenue (formerly South Main Street), and East…

OC00102.jpg
The Battle of the Bulge Memorial in Lake Eola Park in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This six-foot, bronze statue of an American G.I. sits on a bronze-outlined, white star set into a 34-foot diameter concrete base. The statue was sculpted by Chris Scala,…

SL00036.jpg
An aerial photograph showing the Bee Line Mall and its surrounding areas in 1966. The photograph is annotated to show the surrounding roadways, Sky Lake, Oak Ridge, Candlelight Park, the Gold Key Inn, Piccadilly Restaurant, and Travelodge. Sky Lake…

CFMH00136.JPG
Michelle Beebs performing live with Beeb$ and Her Money Makers at E.L.L.A. Music Fest at H2O Live!, located at 100 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 3, 2012. The E.L.L.A. Music Festival, which stands for…

CFMH00145.JPG
Beeb$ and Her Money Makers at the group's CD release party at The Beacham Theater in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on . The first two photographs feature kazoo player and vocalist Michelle Beebs and the third photographs shows bassist Levon White.Led by…

OC00006.pdf
Postcard showing a bird's eye view of Orange Avenue looking north. The cross street in the foreground is Church Street.

On the west side of Orange Avenue, at the corner of Church, is the White House Candy Palace at 140 South Orange Avenue. The…

OR00332.jpg
An elevated view of Orlando, Florida, in 1884. The lithograph focused on Sinclair's Real Estate Agency, located on the corner of Pine Street and South Orange Avenue. Other sites highlighted in the lithograph include the home of J. G. Sinclair, the…

OC00008.pdf
Postcard showing Lake Eola Park and its Bandstand in Orlando, Florida. The bandstand is on the west side of the park. Lake Eola and its surrounding park are one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. From its earliest…

OR00082.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OC00103.jpg
The Bust of Simón Bolívar at Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2013. This life-sized, 150-pound bronze bust is set on a polished stone plinth and was erected in March 1996. The monument was donated to the City of Orlando by Rafael Antonio…

OR00041.jpeg
The Cathedral Church of St. Luke, located at 130 North Magnolia Avenue in Dowtown Orlando, Florida, in 2014. The church was founded in 1867 by Francis W. Eppes (1801-1881), the nephew of Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826). The congregation originally…

OR00117.JPG
A Catholic procession in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1939 and 1941. Altar servers are followed by the bishop, priests, and congregants. In these processions, a cross bearer and candle holder, who are not pictured, led the procession…

OC00009.pdf
Postcard posted February of 1919 that shows Central Avenue (now Central Boulevard) at the corner of Court Avenue. Pictured is the Elks Club, as well as the intersection of Central and Orange Avenue. The Orlando Lodge of the Elks was founded on June…

OR00068.JPG
Cervantes Spanish Restaurant was one of the first Spanish restaurants to come to Orlando, Florida. It was run by Paul Vines and his wife, Annie Vines, and their business partner, C. Menendez. The restaurant sat at 19 East Church Street and stayed at…

TCC00130.jpg
The Church Street Market Building, located at the corner of West Pine Street and South Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1972, entrepreneur Bob Snow made plans to develop an entertainment complex in order to revitalize Downtown…

RRD00041.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

TCC00131.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company. The depot was designed by T. B.…

RRD00012.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00047.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2012. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00058.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South Florida Railroad it was…

OR00066.JPG
This photograph shows three businesses located on South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1941 and 1946: City Cab Company Taxi Service, Kelly's Tires, and the American Fire and Casualty Company. City Cab Co. was founded by…

OR00054.jpg
The City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at 19 North Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1883, after a dressmaking store in Orlando caught fire, William C. Sherman, a previous member of the Boston Fire…

OR00055.jpg
A fire hose nozzle from the City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at 19 North Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1883, after a dressmaking store in Orlando caught fire, William C. Sherman, a previous…

TCC00066.jpg
The City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at the corner of North Magnolia Avenue and Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2004. Inspired by a fire in 1883, Orlando's first volunteer fire department was established by William C. Sherman,…

OC00085.jpg
The Clark C. Griffith Memorial at Tinker Field, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Clark Calvin Griffith (1869-1955), also known as "The Old Fox," was a Major League Baseball pitcher, team manager, and team…

OC00105.jpg
The Confederate Soldiers, Sailors, and Statesmen Memorial was erected in 1911 by the Annie Coleman Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The construction of the monument was spearheaded by Mrs. Abernethy, the President of the…

TCC00093.jpg
55 West, located at 55 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during construction in 2007. 55 West is an apartment building that overlooks Church Street Station and stands next to the SunTrust Center. Construction was completed in 2009. 55…

OR00321.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00235.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00205.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00220.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00192.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00213.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00204.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00202.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00219.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00233.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00217.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00200.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00226.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00215.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00224.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00209.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00189.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00206.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00241.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00194.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00196.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00222.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00198.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00230.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00211.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00228.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00114.JPG
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, during construction circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and…

TCC00134.jpg
North Court Avenue at East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

TCC00087.jpg
The Davis National Guard Armory, located at 649 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In September of 1937, the City of Orlando donated land and $80,000 to deter the U.S. National Guard from relocating outside of Orlando. The…

TCC00056.jpg
Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during demolition in 2003. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores…

TCC00003.jpg
The Dickson & Ives Building, located at 214 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In the 1880s, H. H. Dickson and Sidney Ives, Sr. arrived in Orlando and opened mercantile establishments independently of one another. The two…

TCC00005.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, in 2002. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated to Orlando in 1886…

TCC00006.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated…

OC00202.jpg
A postcard featuring the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) Railway Company station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 20th century. The station was first constructed in 1880, connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the…

OR00079.jpg
The Downtown Orlando Information Center with the BB&T Bank building in the background. The Barnett Plaza was built in 1962 and was the location of the CNA Tower. The center is located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida.

OR00263.jpg
An Action Plan for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, dated November 17, 1983. The plan sets forth the goals of the post office and the plan to accomplish the goals. Some of the goals include adjusting carrier routes to eight hours, reducing overtime…

OR00135.JPG
From this view of the Historic Post Office building, a giant crucifix is visible. This represents the area occupied by the Chancery center for the Diocese of Orlando. In 2001, Bishop Norbert Dorsey bought most of the building, which is on land the…

OR00138.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered shows objects from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 E Jefferson Street. The post office was constructed in 1941 on land purchased from the adjacent St James Catholic Church. It still…

TCC00007.jpg
The Downtown Orlando skyline, with Lake Eola in the distance, in 2002. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day…

TCC00153.jpg
Ebenezer United Methodist Church (UMC), located at 594-596 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The earliest structure at this location was a wooden church built in 1872 on Terry Avenue. Ebenezer was the first African-American…

OR00084.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

TCC00010.jpg
The Elijah Hand Building, located at 13-25 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The site, formerly occupied by the Magnolia Hotel, was purchased by Elijah Hand in 1905. Hand migrated to Orlando from Shelbyville, Indiana, in 1885…

TCC00012.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00013.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

OR00120.JPG
Postal employees after the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. The photograph includes 109 employees ranging from superintendent to clerk. The Postmaster and Assistant…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

TCC00030.jpg
The entrance of the McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory…

OR00106.JPG
"Two envelopes, which were processed by the Downtown Orlando Post Office and addressed to Betty Riddle. The first envelope was stamped September 15, 1941, while the other envelope, sent nine months later, was stamped June 13, 1942. Riddle was a born…

OR00127.jpg
A postage stamp issued in 1947. Claude Pepper (1900-1989), then U.S. Senator from Florida, wrote Postmaster General Hannegan on July 9, 1947, to petition for a postage stamp to commemorate the dedication of the Everglades National Park. The…

OR00109.JPG
The former building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown, Orlando, Florida. From 1917 to 1941, the Orlando post office was housed in a building on the corner of Central Boulevard and Court Avenue and…

OR00400.JPG
The fire alarm for the fire safety system in the 1958 Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was located on the corner of South Street and Orange Avenue and acted as the place of governance for the growing Orlando area. The fire…

OC00051.pdf
Postcard showing the First Baptist Church of Orlando, formerly located at 100 East Pine Street. The building was constructed in 1915 and designed by J. E. Greene in the Greek Revival Style. The building was demolished circa 1955 and the site is…

TCC00161.jpg
The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, located at 106 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in 1889 in the Carpenter Gothic style. The church was organized in 1876 with Reverend Henry Keigwinas the…