Browse Items (708 total)

  • Tags: Sanford

SC00726.jpg
Drawing of the Naval Air Station in Sanford, Florida. This drawing shows a map of the zoning of the NAS Sanford. The air station was commissioned on November 3, 1942, as a naval aviation training facility during World War II. The Navy continued to…

SC00710.jpg
Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church, located at 710 Orange Avenue in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Zion Hope was founded in a brush arbor, under the leadership of Reverend Wash Levingston, on June 9, 1888.…

HH00483.jpg
A newspaper article from the The Seminole Star about a burglary that occurred at the Sanford Grammar School in Sanford, Florida. Five underaged youths were involved in the burglary and charged with stealing approximately $175 in school supplies…

Daniel Heitz first took the stage at the Alley blues club in Sanford, Florida, when he was 11 years old. Over the next six years, he became one of the most impressive classical blues guitarists in Central Florida.WUCF-TV is a Public Broadcasting…

HH00019.jpg
A display wall in the Princess Theater, located at 115 West First Street in Sanford, Florida. This wall displays two important artifacts related to Creative Sanford, Inc.: "Woven Tales", materials woven during an earlier play; and the signature…

FSM00005.jpg
The DeForest Grove, sometime between 1895 and 1905, in Sanford, Florida. Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better health…

SSWCD00024.pdf
The Work Plan of the Board of Supervisors of the Seminole Soil and Water Conservation District for 1948. The organization began in 1948 with a goal to assist in agricultural interests. Over the years, the Seminole Soil and Water Conservation District…

PHC00063.jpg
Women at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, sometime between 1911 and 1927. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

SC00758.jpg
Wilson-Eichelberger Mortuary, located at 1100 Pine Avenue, in 2011. The mortuary is a long-standing business within the historic African-American district of Georgetown of Sanford, Florida.Georgetown was established by the city's founder, Henry…

PHC00178.jpg
A map of Sanford Grammar School for a student who attended the school from 1961 to 1965. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was…

SC00606.pdf
Nancy Foy's third grade class and Principal Freeman E. Baggett during the 1962-1963 school year at Westside Grammar Elementary School. Students seen in the photograph include: Carolyn A., Billy H., David L., Gary G., Mike D., Dawn G., Jimmy…

SC00604.pdf
Mary Thomas' second grade class during the 1961-1962 school year at Westside Grammar Elementary School. Freeman E. Baggett was the school principal during that school year. Students photographed include, from left to right: Gail, Toni Monti, James…

SC00590.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School report card for sixth-grader Colla Woodcock during the 1914-1915 school year. Woodcock was evaluated by Mrs. Luke in subjects such as arithmetic, reading, spelling, grammar, history, geography, writing, and…

SC00592.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School report card for sixth-grader Christine Kinlaw during the 1965-1966 school year. Students were evaluated in subjects such as reading, language, spelling, handwriting, social studies, arithmetic, science, health…

SC00607.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School report card for fourth-grader Christine Kinlaw during the 1963-1964 school year. Students were evaluated in subjects such as reading, language, spelling, handwriting, social studies, arithmetic, science, health…

SC00564.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School Report Card for Christine Kinlaw during the 1963-1964 school year. Kinlaw was evaluated by third grade teacher Nancy Foy in various subjects, including reading, handwriting, spelling, language, arithmetic, social…

SC00563.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School Report Card for Christine Kinlaw during the 1962-1963 school year. Kinlaw was evaluated by second-grade teacher Mary Thomas in various subjects, including reading, handwriting, spelling, language, arithmetic, social…

SC00562.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School Report Card for Christine Kinlaw during the 1961-1962 school year. Kinlaw was evaluated by first-grade teacher Elizabeth Sharon in various subjects, including reading, handwriting, spelling, language, arithmetic,…

SC00561.jpg
Notice of Pupil Assignment to Westside Grammar Elementary School for Christine Kinlaw during the 1963-1964 school year. Kinlaw's family had attended Westside Grammar Elementary School since it was established as Sanford High School in 1902.The…

SC00560.jpg
Notice of Pupil Assignment to Westside Grammar Elementary School for Christine Kinlaw during the 1962-1963 school year. Kinlaw's family had attended Westside Grammar Elementary School since it was established as Sanford High School in 1902.The…

SC00559.jpg
Notice of Pupil Assignment to Westside Grammar Elementary School for Christine Kinlaw during the 1961-1962 school year. Kinlaw's family had attended Westside Grammar Elementary School since it was established as Sanford High School in 1902.The…

SC00558.pdf
Westside Grammar Elementary School program for May Day in 1963, when Christine Kinlaw-Best was a student there. The May Day celebration included a processional, songs, and dances. Located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Westside…

PHC00003.jpg
Lucile Campbell's fourth grade class at Westside Grammar Elementary School during the 1963-1964 school year. Freeman E. Baggett was the principal for that school year.

Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

SC00649.jpg
A magazine article about the Western Union Telegraph Company office located at 201 East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1926. According to the article, the telegraph business in Sanford was developing rapidly. The office's manager, L. Tharp,…

PHC00159.jpg
Wendy Grove at Sanford Grammar School on June 14, 1972. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

FSM00051.jpg
This photograph is of the waterfront on Commercial Street in Sanford, Florida. The Palm Avenue Dock is in the distance and the foreground is the park at the Sanford House Hotel. There is a century plant in the center of walkway in the park.The…

FSM00027.jpg
The W. J. Hill Store in Sanford, Florida. Although the earliest type of stereoscope dates back to 1838, this stereoscope card is from a Holmes-style stereoscope invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935) in 1861. The two separate images are…

FSM00037.jpg
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for W. H. Fletcher, a roofer based in Sanford, Florida.The South Florida Argus was Republican paper published by Adolphus Edwards…

SC00648.jpg
A newspaper article about W. A. Patrick, president of the Seminole Tire Shop in Sanford, Florida. Patrick migrated to Sanford on March 10, 192,7 and established a tire repair business that also distributed Firestone and Crosley products. By 1932, his…

HH00032.jpg
The American Legion Hall, located at the 300 Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida during the 1920s. The log cabin was originally used as the American Legion Campbell-Lossing Post 53, which received the property from the City of Sanford during the…

SC00172.jpg
Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The park was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of World War I veterans in 1927. The park was renamed…

FSM00004.jpg
Two women, possibly relatives of Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902), at DeForest Grove, sometime between 1895 and 1905. DeForest was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida…

SC00512.jpg
Chase & Company packing house in Sanford in 1936. CChase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage facilities and fertilizer sales. Chase &…

PHC00131.jpg
The Tropical Garden at Sanford Grammar School. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

SC00706.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church (UMC), located at 526 South Sanford Avenue in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Trinity UMC was originally named the New Mount Zion Colored Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church and…

SSWCD00026.pdf
The Transmittal of Schedule of Assistance of the Seminole Soil and Water Conservation District for 1949. The organization began in 1948 with a goal to assist in agricultural interests. Over the years, the Seminole Soil and Water Conservation District…

FSM00036.jpg
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for Trafford and Company, wholesale and retail dealers located at the corner of North Park Avenue and West Commercial Street in…

SCC00627.jpg
A newspaper articleon the tobacco and leather industries in Florida. The article was written by C. D. Leffler, President of the Young Men's Business League, and published by Manufacturers Record: A Weekly Southern Industrial Railroad and Financial…

WMC004.17.pdf
The seventeenth issue in the fourth volume of The Watermark was published on August 21, 1997, and featured a broad range of recent developments and interesting stories in the LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others)…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

SC00372.jpg
History of the Sanford State Farmers' Market, as written by local resident Mary Leffler Long in the 1950s. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which…

FSM00040.pdf
A page of newspaper advertisements from The South Florida Argus issue for January 8, 1886. This issue includes advertisements for various Central Florida-based businesses, including the Florida Land and Colonization Company (FLCC), the Apopka House,…

HH00411.pdf
The centennial edition of The Oviedo Outlook published in 1979 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Oviedo, Florida. The newspaper begins with a brief history of Oviedo, followed by articles devoted to important members of the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00412.pdf
Volume 4, number 40 of The Oviedo Outlook, published on May 26, 1977. The Oviedo Outlook was published every Thursday at 173 West Broadway Street in Oviedo, Florida. The newspaper was operated by the NPN Corporation, president and general manager…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00230.pdf
The 1951 edition of The Oviedian, the yearbook for the Oviedo School, located at 601 King Street in Oviedo, Florida. The school was first established in 1932 as a K-12 school. In 1948, the secondary grades separated from the elementary school. The…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

SC00371.jpg
Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the planned construction of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location…

MN00039.pdf
The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by the Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. This edition features a special piece titled "An Historical Sketch of…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

MN00037.pdf
The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by the Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. This edition features articles on topics such as the inspection of Maitland…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

MN00005.pdf
The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by The Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. This edition features articles on topics such as plans to erect a new…

MC00005.pdf
An article, titled "Ye Town of Maitland," published in The Florida Grower, a magazine in publication since 1907. The article does not contain any dates, page numbers, or publication information, but was most likely published in 1925 or 1926. The…

SC00370.jpg
Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the fitting ceremonies of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in…

HH00427.pdf
Volume 1, number 9 of The Central Florida Press, published on June 20, 1930. The Central Florida Press was a weekly newspaper published in Oviedo, Florida. At the time that this issue was printed, C. J. Broom was the editor. Topics discussed in…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

FSM00028.jpg
The Bell Hotel was located on Woodruff Block at East First Street and North Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Built in 1895, the hotel was known for Joe's Smokehouse and Silas Biggers' peanut wagon which sat out front. The Bell Café was owned by a…

MA00001.pdf
The Apopka Chief, volume I, number 47 for March 7, 1924. This edition of the newspaper announces a new publishing plant, built by Lee F. Lovell, measuring 80 feet by 35 feet and featuring a Single Keyboard 14 Linotype. Published by the Apopka…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

SC00504.jpg
Brothers and business partner Joshua Coffin Chase and Sydney Octavius Chase in front of the Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, in 1895. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by the Chase brothers. The company sold…

PHC00169.jpg
Sybil Routh's sixth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1951-1952 school year. Some of the students photographed are Dale Goins, Carol McNeill, Judy Clark, Alan Buitz, Peggy Lundquist, Chester Cherry, L.C. Smith, Jan Miller, Helen Adams,…

PHC00174.jpg
A drawing and description of Sanford Grammar school by a student named Lakeisha Beveritt. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was…

SP00163.jpg
A statement from Gray Dawes and Company to Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) dated July 14, 1880. The statement lists the 6-month interest charge on an advance of £8,000 to Sanford, loaned against Sanford's property in Florida at a rate of 5 percent…

SP00162.jpg
A statement from Gray Dawes and Company to Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) dated January 28, 1880. The statement lists charges for the shipment of 10 boxes of oranges from New York to London. The oranges may have been sent to the London-based…

SP00164.jpg
A statement from Gray Dawes and Company to Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) dated February 23, 1881. The statement reflected the account activity from January 1880 to February 1881, including the initial loan of £8,000, the interest accrued after…

SP00166.jpg
A statement from Gray Dawes and Company to Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) dated August 6, 1889. The statement indicated the amount of interest and discounts due to Sanford for the year. The included a discount of £167.38 on a promissory note…

SP00165.jpg
Atatement from Gray Dawes and Company to Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) dated August 5, 1887. The statement indicated the interest due for the period from August 1887 to February 1888, an amount of £197.94. The initial amount of the loan was…

SP00167.jpg
A statement from Gray Dawes and Company to Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) dated August 4, 1886. The statement indicated the yearly interest charge on a loan of £6,423.17.6. With interest accrued at 6%, the amount due by Sanford was £385.8.8.…

HH00006.jpg
The stage set, during construction, at the Princess Theater, located at 115 West First Street, for Remade - Not Bought. Remade - Not Bought was a Celery Soup: Florida's Folk Life Play and Creative Sanford, Inc. play performed from October 18 through…

SC00698.jpg
St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, located at 813 Pine Avenue in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Considered the oldest African-American Baptist church in Sanford, St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church was first…

HH00431.jpg
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article describes floods occurring on the bulkheads of Lake Monroe, which is part of the St. Johns River system. The flooding was first reported by J. A. Young, who was…

SC00693.jpg
St. John Missionary Baptist Church, located at 920 Cypress Avenue in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. St. John was organized under the leadership of Reverend M. W. Evans on May 10, 1895. Within a few years, the…

PB050.jpg
Special thanks being given to Patricia Ann Black (1956- ), who can be seen wearing red in the photographs, at a ceremony commemorating the completion of the Sanford Avenue Streetscape and the unveiling of several heritage markers. The unveiling of…

FSM00035.jpg
A newspaper advertisement for the South Florida Railroad. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in 1875. The charter planned to constructed a railroad from the St. Johns River port in Sanford south to Orlando. On October 16, 1878, the…

FSM00038.jpg
A page of newspaper advertisements in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes advertisements for the Kissimmee Land Agency, as well as several Sanford-based businesses, including Steele & Bassinger, Scott…

PHC00040.pdf
Seminole High School yearbook dedication to the school's alumni that were serving in the United States military during World War II. The spread shows photographs of the following alumni servicemen: Ashby Jones, Mike Saus, J.W. Hicks, Lewis Wright,…

PHC00171.jpg
A sixth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1934-1935 school year. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W.…

SC00644.jpg
A newspaper advertisement for the Seminole Tire Shop in Sanford, Florida. The store erected one of the largest one-stop service stations in the city, which was located at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market that opened in 1934. According to this…

SC00635.jpg
A newspaper advertisement for the Seminole Tire Shop in Sanford, Florida. The store erected one of the largest one-stop service stations in the city, which was located at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market. This ad, likely published in the…

PHC00030.jpg
Seminole High School students in a school variety show performed during the 1953-1954 school year. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Seminole High School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The…

PHC00006.jpg
The Seminole High School swim team in 1958, the year that swimming was added to the school's athletic program. The student athletes photographed from left to right are: kneeling - T. Walker, W. Phillips, T. Brown, M. Knudsen, E. Vaughn, J. Clarke, J.…

PHC00029.jpg
Seminole High School students in front of a school bus during the 1950-1951 school year. Photographed from left to right is: first row - E. Baker, Miss Chittenden, M. Smith, S. Browning, M. Ridlon, P. Bronson, B. Hamp, M. Roberts, L. Norman, C.…