Browse Items (143 total)

  • Tags: Cook, Thomas

OC00002.pdf
Postcard showing an airplane view of Downtown Orlando's business district. In the foreground is Lake Eola with an early band shell placed out into the water. On its shores is the Rosalind Club (green roof on the left) and the Masonic Temple (to the…

OC00003.pdf
Postcard showing Albertson Public Library, formerly located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. Construction began in 1922 and the library opened in May of 1923. The City of Orlando had the library built after Colonel Charles Lewis…

OC00004.pdf
Postcard showing the American Legion Hall, located at the 900 block of Orange Avenue on Lake Ivanhoe. The hall was constructed in 1938 with a Spanish Colonial Revival Style. The building cost $82,000 and replaced an earlier American Legion Hall built…

WPC00001.pdf
Postcard showing the Annie Russell Theatre, located on the campus of Rollins College at 1000 Holt Avenue in Winter Park, Florida. The theatre was built in 1932 and was donated to the Rollins by Mary Curtis Bok Zimbalist in honor of her friend, Annie…

OC00005.pdf
Postcard showing Lake Eola Park and its bandstand in Orlando, Florida. The bandstand is on the west side of the park. Lake Eola and its surrounding park are one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. From its earliest…

OC00006.pdf
Postcard showing a bird's eye view of Orange Avenue looking north. The cross street in the foreground is Church Street.

On the west side of Orange Avenue, at the corner of Church, is the White House Candy Palace at 140 South Orange Avenue. The…

OC00008.pdf
Postcard showing Lake Eola Park and its Bandstand in Orlando, Florida. The bandstand is on the west side of the park. Lake Eola and its surrounding park are one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. From its earliest…

LWHC00001.pdf
Postcard sent in 1938 showing the Magnificent Singing Tower at the Bok Tower Gardens, located at 1151 Tower Boulevard in Lake Wales, Florida. Edward Bok retired to the town of Lake Wales, located south of Orlando. Bok set out a plan to establish a…

OC00009.pdf
Postcard posted February of 1919 that shows Central Avenue (now Central Boulevard) at the corner of Court Avenue. Pictured is the Elks Club, as well as the intersection of Central and Orange Avenue. The Orlando Lodge of the Elks was founded on June…

OC00012.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 3 edition was published on…

OC00013.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 4 edition was published on…

OC00014.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 5 edition was published on…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00015.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 6 edition was published on…

OC00017.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 8 edition was published on…

OC00018.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 9 edition was published on…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00019.pdf
The Cher-O-Key, the bimonthly school newspaper published by the Journalism Club of Cherokee Junior High School, which was located at 550 South Eola Drive in Orlando, Florida when it opened in 1927. The Volume I, Number 10 edition was published on…

LWHC00002.pdf
Cypress Gardens booklet from the 1950s that includes information on plants, Cypress Gardens' water-ski show, and motion pictures filmed at Cypress Gardens. Billed as Florida's first commercial tourist theme park, Cypress Gardens opened on January 2,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00024.pdf
Postcard showing the First Church of Christ, Scientist, formerly located on 24 North Rosalind Avenue. The building was constructed between 1926 and May 1928. Architect George Foote Dunham built it in the Italian Renaissance and Classical Revival…

GC00364.pdf
Florida Circle Tours brochure produced by United Tours in 1950. The brochure details a nine-day coach tour of Florida starting in Jacksonville and traveling to Silver Springs, Orlando, Winter Haven, Cypress Gardens, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Snell…

LWHC00003.pdf
Cypress Gardens Booklet from the 1950s that includes information on plants, Cypress Gardens' water-ski show, and motion pictures filmed at Cypress Gardens. Billed as Florida's first commercial tourist theme park, Cypress Gardens opened on January 2,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00033.pdf
Pamphlet on the scenic route of Orange Blossom Trail north from the Georgia-Florida border to Key West. The pamphlet lists roadside attractions near or on OBT, in an era before the construction of I-95, I-75 and I-4 nearly ended the traditional…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00034.pdf
Pamphlet on tourist attractions in Orlando, Florida. The pamphlet shows many photos of Central Florida, as well as a basic map of the state of Florida showing US-441, which is present-day Orange Blossom Trail. Images include a aerial view of downtown…

OC00035.pdf
Postcard sent in 1943 from Marvin B. Pernick to Marybelle Campbell. The postcard shows the Orlando skyline in a night scene as seen from the eastern side of Lake Eola Park. Some of the buildings shown are the Angebilt Hotel, rhe Orange County…

KC00001.pdf
Postcard showing the Osceola County Courthouse, the oldest courthouse in the State of Florida that is still in use. The land on which the historic building now stands was purchased from the D. B. Stewart family in 1888 for $2,205.32. On June 3, 1889,…

OC00037.pdf
Postcard, posted on February 5, 1909, showing the Rosalind Club located 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. It was constructed in 1901 in the Neo-Classical Revival style as a reproduction of the Biloxi, Mississippi home of Jefferson…

OC00039.pdf
A postcard showing the San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, located at 32 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed from 1885 to 1886 by Captain C. E. Pierce at an initial cost of $150,000. The original owner was Henry S. Kedney, who…

OC00041.pdf
Postcard showing the San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, located at 32 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed from 1885 to 1886 by Captain C. E. Pierce at an initial cost of $150,000. The original owner was Henry S.…

WPC00002.pdf
Postcard showing the Seminole Hotel which was built in 1886 on the eastern end of New England Avenue, on Lake Osceola in Winter Park, Florida. The hotel, which cost $150,000 to construct, featured a formal dining room that could seat hundreds,…

SSC00001.pdf
Brochure produced in 1959, promoting Silver Springs, Florida. It also shows a map of Florida showing pre-Interstate system roads as several other Florida roadside attractions. Silver Springs was originally settled by the Timucuans in the early 1500s.…

OC00044.pdf
Postcard showing the Orlando skyline in a night scene as seen from the eastern side of Lake Eola Park. Some of the buildings shown are the Angebilt Hotel, the Orange County Courthouse, and the Lake Eola Band Stand. Lake Eola and the park that…

OC00045.pdf
Booklet of postcards featuring Orlando, Florida. It was made by Curt Teich and Company Chicago and includes images of the Confederate Soldiers Monument, where it was originally located in the middle of the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and Central…

OC00046.pdf
Street map of the City of Orlando, Florida, printed in 1936. The map shows the route of a 23-mile scenic drive around 18 lakes in Orlando. It has listings of apartment houses, churches, hotels, real estate brokers, newspapers, schools, clubs,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

SSC00002.pdf
Brochure, produced in 1951, promoting the Silver Springs' attracting "The Bridal Chamber". The brochure also shows a map of Florida showing pre-Interstate highway roads as several other Florida roadside attractions. Silver Springs was originally…

OC00047.pdf
Postcard showing Lake Eola Park and its bandstand in Orlando, Florida. The bandstand is on the west side of the park. Lake Eola and the park that surrounds it are one of the unusual features that sets the city of Orlando apart from other places. From…

OC00048.pdf
Postcard showing the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has been…

SCC00001.pdf
Booklet on tourism in the Cape Canaveral area including Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Eau Gallie, Melbourne, and Titusville. The cover shows Mercury Astronaut Leroy Gordon Cooper. The booklet is an aid for people vacationing or moving to the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

LC00004.jpg
Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson Parkway in Longwood,…

LC00003.jpg
The historic marker for Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson…

OC00049.pdf
Postcard showing the Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue, was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June of 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first registered architect, Murray S.…

OC00050.pdf
Postcard showing the Dickson-Azalea Park, owned by the City of Orlando. The park is located south of Robinson Street, north of Central Boulevard, and west of Rosearden Drive. Fern Creek runs through the park, which drains into Mayor Carl T. Langford…

OC00051.pdf
Postcard showing the First Baptist Church of Orlando, formerly located at 100 East Pine Street. The building was constructed in 1915 and designed by J. E. Greene in the Greek Revival Style. The building was demolished circa 1955 and the site is…

OC00052.pdf
Postcard showing the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Orlando, formerly located at 142 East Jackson Street. The building was constructed in 1913 in Greek Classical Revival style with yellow brick. The building cost $50,000 to construct. The…

OC00068.jpg
The Beacham, located at 46 North Orange Avenue, in 2001. The was originally built as a jail for Orange County in 1884. Braxton Beacham Sr. bought the building in 1917 and opened it as the Beacham Theatre in 1921. As of 2013, The Beacham operates as a…

OC00069.jpg
The Dr. Phillips Theater, located at 23-29 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1916, Dr. P. Phillips hired Murray S. King to design his theater on the northeast corner of Orange Avenue and Pine Street. In July of 1917, Dr.…

TCC00001.jpg
The Bumby Hardware Building, located at 102-110 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2001. Originally from England, Joseph Bumby, Sr. relocated to Orlando and built a large, Late Victorian Commercial-style building across the street…

TCC00003.jpg
The Dickson & Ives Building, located at 214 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In the 1880s, H. H. Dickson and Sidney Ives, Sr. arrived in Orlando and opened mercantile establishments independently of one another. The two…

TCC00005.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, in 2002. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated to Orlando in 1886…

TCC00006.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated…

TCC00007.jpg
The Downtown Orlando skyline, with Lake Eola in the distance, in 2002. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day…

TCC00010.jpg
The Elijah Hand Building, located at 13-25 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The site, formerly occupied by the Magnolia Hotel, was purchased by Elijah Hand in 1905. Hand migrated to Orlando from Shelbyville, Indiana, in 1885…

TCC00012.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00013.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00014.jpg
The Sun First National Bank of Orlando, located at 190 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1911, Seth Woodruff founded the People's National Bank and renamed it the First National Bank in 1920. In 1926, the bank announced…

TCC00017.jpg
The Hanson Building, located at 27 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed during 1883-1884 in the nineteenth-century commercial style. In 1894, Andrew Hanson purchased the property for the Hanson Shoe…

TCC00018.jpg
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

TCC00020.jpg
The floor plans for the Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The plans include marquise, plaster ceilo grilles, and plaster plans. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores…

TCC00024.jpg
The Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores founded by Samuel H. Kress in 1896. The building was designed with Art Deco details by Edward…

TCC00026.jpg
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

TCC00027.jpg
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

TCC00028.jpg
The Masonic Temple, located on 205 East Central Boulevard, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2002. The building was constructed in the 20th Century Commercial style in 1925 and was dedicated on January 13, 1926. The original owner was the Free and…

TCC00030.jpg
The entrance of the McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory…

TCC00031.jpg
The McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory operated its store and…

TCC00033.jpg
The McEwan Sanitarium, located at 100 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2000. The two-story clinic was constructed in 1911 and expanded to three stories around 1920. The building served as the hospital of Dr. John McEwan, who…

TCC00036.jpg
The Metcalf Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. in 2002. The building opened in 1924 and was the third skyscraper in Orlando. A. G. Bentley built the structure for the Orlando Federal Savings and Loan…

TCC00044.jpg
The Orlando SouthTrust Bank, located at 135 West Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1887, the SouthTrust Corporation was founded as Birmingham Trust and Savings Company in Birmingham, Alabama. The bank was renamed the…

TCC00045.jpg
The Rutland Building, located at 63 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original two-story structure was designed by F. Earl Deloe in the Art Moderne-style for Joseph Rutland's menswear store in 1941. In 1952, three…

TCC00047.jpg
The Teele Building, located at 123 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This site was originally occupied by Joseph Bumby's warehouse for hay, grain, and fertilizer. In the late 1880s, W .L. and Silas Dolive operated a packing…

TCC00049.jpg
Vivaldi Ristorante, located at 107 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Vivaldi is an Italian restaurant named after Antonio Lucio Vivaldi, a Baroque composer, Catholic priest, and violinist in Venice, Italy, during the 18th…

TCC00052.jpg
Wall Street Plaza, located at 26 Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Wall Street Plaza is a complex of locally-owned bars, restaurants, and nightclubs established in 1995. The plaza originally had just one bar and has grown to include…

TCC00053.jpg
The Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores established by…

TCC00056.jpg
Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during demolition in 2003. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores…

OC00085.jpg
The Clark C. Griffith Memorial at Tinker Field, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Clark Calvin Griffith (1869-1955), also known as "The Old Fox," was a Major League Baseball pitcher, team manager, and team…

OC00086.jpg
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

OC00087.jpg
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

OC00097.jpg
The Tinker Field Stadium, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Tinker Field is named after Joseph B. Tinker, who was a shortstop for the Chicago Cubs, manager of the Orlando Tigers, and the first Floridian to be…

TCC00182.jpg
Headstone of David Mizell, Jr. (1808-1884), an early settler on Lake Mizell, at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Mizell became the first chairman of the Orange County Commission in 1869 and served until through 1871. He also…

TCC00183.jpg
Headstone of Joseph A. Barber (1860-1920) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Born on Lake Conway, Barber became the first tax collector for Osceola County in 1890 and served in said position for four years. He also served as a…

TCC00186.jpg
The Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2011. Located at 3401 South Conway Road in Conway in Orlando, Florida, the Conway United Methodist Church (UMC) was formed in 1870 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church, South (MECS). In 1874,…

TCC00190.jpg
Greenwood Cemetery, located at 1603 Greenwood Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The cemetery was established in 1880 and officially named Greenwood Cemetery at the suggestion of Samuel Robinson and Cassius Boone. In 1911, the cemetery was expanded…

TCC00191.jpg
Headstone of Julius "July" Perry (1868-1920) in the Section K of the Greenwood Cemetery, located at 1603 Greenwood Street in Orlando,Florda, in 2002. An African-American landowner in Ocoee, July Perry is best known as a victim of mob violence during…

TCC00192.jpg
Lake Hill Cemetery, located at 5950 Old Winter Garden Road in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The cemetery, just west of Orlando, is the site of the remains of various early settlers of the city, including Aaron and Mary Jernigan. Originally called …

TCC00199.jpg
Orange Hill Cemetery, located approximately at 1700 East Michigan Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Forty acres of land for the graveyard was purchased by Orange County in 1904 to use for the burial of paupers. The cemetery was active from 1917 to…