Browse Items (5088 total)

Postcard showing Memorial High School, located at 151 East Washington Street. The school was constructed by J. C. Hanner in 1922 and dedicated on December 3, 1922. The building was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and was named Memorial…

Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the city of Orlando, Florida. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s. Lake Lucerne sits at the southern end of…

Postcard, posted in 1951, showing the Sperry Fountain on the southern shore of Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Sperry, a mayor of Orlando. Lake Eola and the surrounding park are one of the unusual…

Postcard showing the First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, formerly located at 106 East Church Street. The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando was organized in 1876. Its first pastor was Reverend Henry Keigwin. It first congregated in the Union Free…

Postcard showing the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Orlando, formerly located at 142 East Jackson Street. The building was constructed in 1913 in Greek Classical Revival style with yellow brick. The building cost $50,000 to construct. The…

Postcard showing the First Baptist Church of Orlando, formerly located at 100 East Pine Street. The building was constructed in 1915 and designed by J. E. Greene in the Greek Revival Style. The building was demolished circa 1955 and the site is…

Postcard showing the Dickson-Azalea Park, owned by the City of Orlando. The park is located south of Robinson Street, north of Central Boulevard, and west of Rosearden Drive. Fern Creek runs through the park, which drains into Mayor Carl T. Langford…

Postcard showing the Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue, was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June of 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first registered architect, Murray S.…

Lucile Campbell's fourth grade class at Westside Grammar Elementary School during the 1963-1964 school year. Freeman E. Baggett was the principal for that school year.

Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

Sanford Junior High School graduating class of 1936-1937. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in 1902. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on the corner of East Ninth…

Ruth Kanner's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1921-1922 school year. Clara Millen was the school principal during that year and this class would go on to be Seminole High School's graduating class of 1929.

Sanford High…

The historic marker for Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson…

Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson Parkway in Longwood,…

An original memorandum written by representatives from Chase & Company. The memo highlights issues that the Florida Citrus Exchange experienced during the 1923-1924 season, including competition between the citrus industries in California and…

An original letter of correspondence written by Sydney Octavius Chase, Jr. to Sydney Octavius Chase, Sr. and Joshua Coffin Chase. The letter summarizes a meeting that Sydney, Jr. attended relating to the marketing and selling of citrus products…

History of the Sanford State Farmers' Market, as written by local resident Mary Leffler Long in the 1950s. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which…

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the planned construction of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location…

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the fitting ceremonies of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in…

The Sanford State Farmers' Market in the 1930s. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The…

The Sanford State Farmers' Market restaurant in 2011. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers.…

Drawing of the floorplan of Building Unit 5 of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in the 1990s. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would…

Floorplan for Building Unit 5 of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in the 1990s. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their…

Aerial view of the Sanford State Farmers' Market after being destroyed by a fire in April of 1957.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers…

Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for…

Newspaper rticle on the resignation of Harry M. Papworth in 1936, the Seminole Chamber of Commerce representative on the Controlling Committee of the State Market. Papworth was a major figure in the success of the farmers' market. The Sanford State…

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on Harry M. Papworth's re-election to the Sanford State Farmers' Market Advisory Board in 1939. Papworth was a major figure in the success of the farmers market. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located…

floorplan of the mezzanine office/storage for the Sanford State Farmers' Market drawn in the 1990s.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers…

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on plans to rebuild the Sanford State Farmers' Market after it was burned down in a fire in 1957.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to…

The Sanford State Farmers' Market retail facility in 2011. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to…

Newspaper article, written for the The Sanford Herald in 1969, on the history and business of the Sanford State Farmers' Market.

Located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would…

Newspaper article on three construction companies' contract bids to rebuild the Sanford State Farmers' Market after it was destroyed by fire in 1957. Bids ranged from approximately $209,000 to $214,000.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300…

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the retirement of Edith Dutton in 1968, secretary to the manager of the Sanford State Farmers' Market, after 28 years of service.The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300 South French Avenue, was…

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the fire that burned down the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1957. Hundreds of gallons of water were used to put the fire out and damages were estimated at $2.5 million.The Sanford State Farmers'…

Newspaper article in the Sanford Herald on the City of Sanford's donation of land to the State Marketing Board to construct the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The tract of land was in a desirable location due to its proximity to both east and…

The Helen Stairs Theatre after restoration in 2000. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects…

The ticket booth at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and…

The theater stage of the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and…

The lobby of the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing,…

The Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center, located at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star…

The stage curtain at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and…

An original engraving at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs…

An original ladder backstage at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house.…

Original cornerstonefor the Milane Theatre, which was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the plans for the Milane. The…

The theater balcony at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs…

The current stage entrance of the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center, which was formerly the segregated colored entrance at the Milane Theatre and later the Ritz Theater.

Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South…

The theater at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing,…

The former Ritz Theater building in 1989. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from…

The Ritz Theater. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the plans…

Flyer for the Ritz Theater's presentation of Godspell at the Sanford Civic Center. Godspell is a musical produced by Stephen Schwartz based on a book by John Michael Tebelak. The play originally opened on Broadway on May 17, 1971. The musical…

Ritz Theater. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the plans for the Milane.…

Ritz Theatre in 1996, before its restoration. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from…

Showtime Cantina in 1989. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the…

Corner view of the Ritz Theater from South Magnolia Avenue and East Second Street in the 1930s.

Originally the Milane Theatre, the Ritz was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie…

Ritz Theater in the 1930s. Originally the Milane Theatre, the Ritz was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the plans…

Movie-goers in line at the Ritz Theater in 1936. Originally the Milane Theatre, the Ritz was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia,…

Photograph of the Ritz Theater in the 1950s.

Originally the Milane Theatre, the Ritz was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia,…

Advertisement for Cousin Wilbur, a "hillbilly comedian", and the Tennessee Mountaineers' performance at the Ritz Theater on May 19, 1946.

Originally the Milane Theatre, the Ritz was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former…

Extras outside the Ritz Theatre during the filming of Sealed With a Kiss, produced by Valencia Community College. The film was produced by about 350 students and took over a year to complete. Sealed With a Kiss is about a love story that spans three…

Letter to Helen L. Stairs from David Pearlman confirming the sale of the Ritz Theatre to RCT Projects, Inc.

Originally the Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned…

Anudience at a showing at the Ritz Theater. Originally the Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the…

Newspaper article on the Milane Theatre's ticket booth, designed by H. S. Selleck and built by Sanford Novelty Works.

The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie…

Newspaper article announcing WJZ's broadcast from the Milane Theatre planned to air June 25, 1926.

The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and…

Photograph of the Opera House in Sanford, Florida. The Opera House was first replaced by the Star Theatre and then later the Milane Theatre.

The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia,…

Newspaper article about the opening of the newly-built Milane Theatre, which was highly successful with a sold out house.

The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned…

Newspaper article on the showing of a film at the Milane Theatre that would depict scenes in Sanford, Florida. Such scenes include the construction of new buildings, images of Sanford High School and South Side Primary School, and pictures of local…

Newspaper article listing the prizes donated by various merchants for the Milane Theatre's Country Store Night. Merchants included J. M. Gillon, Baumel's Specialty Shop, W. H. White, Ball Hardware Company, T. J. Miller & Son, P. Weinberg, the…

Advertisement for the Milane Theatre's feature showing of The Cave Man, as well as a fashion show called "The Storm" for the week of June 28, 1926. The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue, the former location of the Star Theatre, an…

Newspaper article on Amateur Night at the Milane Theatre, located in Sanford, Florida. Juanita Smith won first prize and Wema Graves came in second.

The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue, the former location of the Star…

The Hopper Academy was the first African-American school in the Georgetown district of Sanford. Established in 1886, the school was originally named Colored School No. 11. In 1906, Joseph Nathaniel Crooms became the first principal of the Hopper…

Seminole County Historic Marker about the community of Georgetown in Sanford, Florida. Henry Shelton Sanford established Georgetown in the 1870s as a community for migrating African Americans to settle. Georgetown became a self-sustaining community…

Booklet on tourism in the Cape Canaveral area including Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Eau Gallie, Melbourne, and Titusville. The cover shows Mercury Astronaut Leroy Gordon Cooper. The booklet is an aid for people vacationing or moving to the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Postcard showing the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has been…

Postcard showing Lake Eola Park and its bandstand in Orlando, Florida. The bandstand is on the west side of the park. Lake Eola and the park that surrounds it are one of the unusual features that sets the city of Orlando apart from other places. From…

Brochure, produced in 1951, promoting the Silver Springs' attracting "The Bridal Chamber". The brochure also shows a map of Florida showing pre-Interstate highway roads as several other Florida roadside attractions. Silver Springs was originally…

Street map of the City of Orlando, Florida, printed in 1936. The map shows the route of a 23-mile scenic drive around 18 lakes in Orlando. It has listings of apartment houses, churches, hotels, real estate brokers, newspapers, schools, clubs,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Booklet of postcards featuring Orlando, Florida. It was made by Curt Teich and Company Chicago and includes images of the Confederate Soldiers Monument, where it was originally located in the middle of the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and Central…

Postcard showing the Orlando skyline in a night scene as seen from the eastern side of Lake Eola Park. Some of the buildings shown are the Angebilt Hotel, the Orange County Courthouse, and the Lake Eola Band Stand. Lake Eola and the park that…

Brochure produced in 1959, promoting Silver Springs, Florida. It also shows a map of Florida showing pre-Interstate system roads as several other Florida roadside attractions. Silver Springs was originally settled by the Timucuans in the early 1500s.…

Postcard showing the Seminole Hotel which was built in 1886 on the eastern end of New England Avenue, on Lake Osceola in Winter Park, Florida. The hotel, which cost $150,000 to construct, featured a formal dining room that could seat hundreds,…

Postcard showing Grand Theatre, located at 37 West Pine Street in Orlando, Florida. The theater opened in the 1920s. During the 1940s and 1950s, the theatre operated as a first run house, typically playing second tier motion pictures. In 1956, the…

An Army Air Forces menu created for the Christmas of 1943. The cover shows Santa Claus piloting an airplane over an airbase. There are illustrations of a decorated Christmas tree, a palm tree and what appears to be orange trees. The interior has a…

Postcard showing the San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, located at 32 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed from 1885 to 1886 by Captain C. E. Pierce at an initial cost of $150,000. The original owner was Henry S.…

Brochure on the San Juan Hotel, one of the oldest hotels in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The brochure showcases that activities for tourists in Orlando Florida, as well as the luxury of the San Juan. The brochure was published around 1955.

The San…

A postcard showing the San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, located at 32 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed from 1885 to 1886 by Captain C. E. Pierce at an initial cost of $150,000. The original owner was Henry S. Kedney, who…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2